|TEPLICE: Ústí nad Labem, Bohemia|
town image and Teplice region information and Shtetlink. Teplice, situated in the plain of the Bílina river that separates the Ore Mountains (Czech: Krušné Hory) from the Czech Central Mountains (Czech: České středohoří), is a famous spa town. Its thermal springs were discovered as early as 762, but the first documentation of the baths is the 16th century. In the 12th century, Judith, queen of Vladislav II of Bohemia, founded a convent for Benedictine nuns that was destroyed in the Hussite Wars in 15th century. Teplice figures in the history of Wallenstein and is also where the monarchs of Austria, Russia and Prussia first signed the Triple Alliance against Napoleon in 1813. Teplice has been called Czech Republic's little Paris, although rising crime and unemployment in the region have damaged that reputation. The local spas attract tourists mainly from the Middle East and other parts of the Czech Republic and Slovakia. Teplice is the second largest spa town in the Czech Republic after Karlovy Vary. town website in English. Wikipedia. photos [February 2009]
Alternate names: Teplice, Teplice-Sobedruhy [Cz], Teplitz [Ger], Teplitz-Schönau, Teplice-Šanov, Töplitz, Cieplice [Pol].
Jewish population was 1,718 in 1880. In northern Bohemia, the Jewish community of Teplice existed from the 16th century with evidence of Jewish settlement from 1414. In the second half of the 19th century, the Teplice community became the second largest in Bohemia (after Prague) with 1,718 Jews or 11.6% of the total population in 1880, 2,704 (10.1%) in 1910, and 3,213 (10.4%) in 1930. The synagogue in Teplice-Sanov was desigend by Wilhem Stiassny and consecrated in 1883. The majority of the Jewish community left in Summer and Fall of 1938 due to Nazi agitation. After the Munich Pact, almost no Jews remained. [February 2009]
Jewish Community of Teplice [Zidovska obec Teplice]
415 01 Teplice
tel.: +420 417635073
bankovní účet: 1061067369/0800
TEPLICE-SOBEDRUHY: US Commission No. CZCE000173
Earliest known Jewish community was 16th century. 1930 Jewish population was 51. The Jewish community moved to Teplice and other big towns in the 19th century. The Jewish cemetery originated before 1669 with last known Conservative Jewish burial before 1943. Dresden, Germany until 1751 and Decin (Ger: Tetschen-Bodenbach) until 1890 (40 km and 30 km away) used this unlandmarked cemetery. The isolated suburban hillside has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all via a broken masonry wall without gate. The pre- and post-WWII size of cemetery is about 3300 sq. m.
20-100 stones, none in original location, date from probably 1669 to 19th century. The granite, sandstone and slate flat shaped stones or flat stones with carved relief decoration have Hebrew and German inscriptions. No structures. The municipality owns the property used for recreation (park, playground, and athletic field). Adjacent properties are recreational and agricultural. Rarely, private visitors stop. Vandalism occurred during World War II, occasionally 1945-1991. Now, authorities occasionally clean or clear. Slight threats: pollution, vegetation, vandalism and existing nearby development.
Jan Marek, Na hranici 208, 405 05 Decin; and Jiri Fiedler, z"l, Brickova 1916, 155 00 Praha 5; tel. 02/55-33-40 completed survey on 18 May 1992. No documentation was used. The site was not visited. Mr. Klein and Ms. C. Kleinova, Jewish Congregation of Teplice in 1992 and Mr. Markovic in Decin 1992 were interviewed.
TEPLICE (I): US Commission No.CZCE000187
Alternate names: Teplice [Cz], Teplitz, Teplitz-Schoenau [Ger], Teplitz-Schönau, Teplice-Šanov, Töplitz, Cieplice [Pol] Teplice-Sanov in Hungarian. Teplice (I) is located in Bohemia, Teplice at 50°38' N, 13°50' E , 47 miles NW of Praha (Prague) in Ústí nad Labem region (Sudetenland). The old cemetery is located 450 m E of town. Present town population is 25,000-100,000 with 10-100 Jews.
Earliest known Jewish community was 1480. 1930 Jewish population was 3,213. Famous rabbis; painter Otto Herschel 1871-after1950; composer Arthur Willner 1881-1959; writers Arthur Breisky 1885-1910 and Hanus Bonn 1913-1941 lived here with last Orthodox, Conservative, or Progressive/Reform Jewish burial about 1862. Kremyz (Ger. Kremusch) 4 km away, used this unlandmarked cemetery. The isolated urban hillside has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all via no wall, fence, or gate. The pre- and post-WWII size of cemetery is about 3000 sq. m (.033 ha) with no stones, no known mass graves, or structures. The municipality owns property used for recreation (park, playground, athletic field). Adjacent properties are recreational and residential. Rarely, private visitors stop. Vandalism occurred prior to World War II when Nazis completely destroyed cemetery and sold tombstones. Now, there is occasional clearing or cleaning by individuals. Moderate threat: pollution. Slight threat: vegetation and existing nearby development.
Jan Marek, Na hranici 208, 405 05 Decin and Jiri Fiedler, z"l, Brdickova 1916, 155 00 Praha 5; tel. 55-33-40 completed survey on 18 May 1992. Documentation: Gold:..Bohemens..; notes of Teplice Jewish Congregation; notes of Statni Zid. Muzeum Praha; old cadastres; and census. The site was not visited. Mr. Klein & Ms. Kleinova from Teplice Jewish Congregation in 1992; Mr. Markovic from Decin, 1992; Cemetery Director in Teplice; and Evangelical Church in Teplice were interviewed.
TEPLICE (II): US Commission No.CZCE000239
(Source information: ZNO, Lipova ulica 25, 415 01, Teplice, Czech Republic) The new cemetery is located 700 m NW, Hrbitovni and Krizikova Streets. Caretaker with key: Hrbitovni sprava, Krizikova ulica (street). The still-active Orthodox and Progressive/Reform Jewish cemetery originated in 1862. Kremyz (German, Kremusch); Duchcov (German, Dux), Usti n. L from 1945 (4 km, 7 km, 15 km away) used this unlandmarked cemetery. The suburban flat land, part of a municipal cemetery, has no sign, but has Jewish symbols on gate or wall. Reached by crossing public property municipal cemetery, access is open to all via a continuous masonry wall, a hedge or row of trees or bushes and non-locking gate. The pre- and post-WWII size of cemetery is 2500 sq. m. (0.28 ha s).
500-5000 stones, most in original location, date from 1960s-20th century. The cemetery has special section for children and Gentile Soviet soldiers. The marble, granite, limestone and slate flat shaped stones, finely smoothed and inscribed stones, flat stones with carved relief decoration, sculpted monuments, multi-stone monuments or obelisks have Hebrew, Polish and Czech inscriptions. Some have iron decorations, lettering with bronze decorations or lettering, other metallic elements, and/or metal fences around graves. The cemetery contains special memorial monuments to Jewish soldiers and non-Jewish Soviet soldiers, marked mass graves, and a pre-burial house. The municipality owns Jewish cemetery property. Adjacent properties are agricultural and cemeteries. Frequently, private visitors and local residents stop. Vandalism occurred occasionally 1945-1991. Local/municipal authorities and Jewish groups within country did restoration in 1981 and 1991. A regular caretaker is paid by local contribution. Slight threat: uncontrolled access, pollution, vegetation and vandalism.
Jan Marek, Na hranici 208, 405 Decin, message: tel. or fax: 0412/23662, 0412/28090; and Jiri Fiedler, z"l, Brdickova 1916, 155 00 Praha 5; tel. 55-33-40 completed survey on 18 May 1992. Documentation: Gold :..Bohemens; notes of Teplice Jewish Congregation; and census, etc. The site was not visited. Members of Jewish Congregation of Teplice and Cemetery Director in Teplice were interviewed.
|Last Updated on Thursday, 26 February 2009 12:07|