|TELICE: Tachov, Bohemia (Prostiboř and Kopec): Ústí nad Labem|
Wikipedia [July 2012]
REFUTATION OF US COMMISSION REPORT BELOW: The first documented account of Jewish inhabitants of Teplice was 1414 when Teplice belonged to the local Benedictian nunnery. Jews were mentioned as creditors of the local nobility when Teplice was a liege town providing them permanent refuge and economic advantages of royal towns where Jews were consistently repudiated and forced to conform to the strict laws of Statuta Judeorum, published by King Přemysl Otakar II. The synagogue building is documented as early as about 1550. A Jewish school and ritual bath (mikve) were added. In 1606 Radslav Vchynský, the owner of the Teplice dominion, decreed that Jews were not allowed to move, settle, buy or sell a house or even make a complaint with the rabbi in Prague without consent of the suzerain. At the beginning of the Thirty Year War in 1618, Teplice had 78 Jews; when the war ended in 1652, 500 Christian inhabitants remained as did 231 Jews. The first rabbi mentioned  - Löbl Baum. In 1668 Teplice Jews were twice ejected from the town by sovereign order and some ghettoized. The evicted Jews settled in surrounding areas and in nearby Sobědruhy where they founded their own religious community, established a cemetery and built a synagogue.
In 1872 Teplice Jewish Community bought the lands of the Haas family for 25,000 guldens [5 071 m2] on a hill that overlooked Teplice. Until mid-17th century, the hill was called Breite Stein (Wide Hill), then Judenberg (Jewish Hill) when in 1669 the original Jewish cemetery was moved there. After 1862 the cemetery was closed because the area of the Jewish Hill became lucrative for new building activities. In 1861-1864, a new church [St. Bartholomew] was built at the peak of the hill close to the Jewish cemetery on a road later Lípová street.
Prostiboř is a small village in the Plzeň Region with around 140 inhabitants of which the hamlets Kopec and Telice are administrative parts.
US Commission No. CZCE000024
Alternate name: Dölitschen in German. Telice is located in Bohemia, Tachov at 49º38 12º56, 35 km WSW of Plzen. Cemetery: 750 m NNW. Present town population is under 1,000 with no Jews.
Earliest known Jewish community was second half of 18th century [sic]. 1930 Jewish population was 0. Jews moved to big towns at the end of the 19th century. The Jewish cemetery originated probably in mid-18th century with last known probably Conservative Jewish burial after 1933. Prostibor; Nedrazice (German, Nedraschitz); Stribro (German, Mies), up to 1900 (2 km; 8 km; and 13 km away) used this landmarked cemetery. Between fields and woods, the isolated hillside has no sign or marker. Reached by crossing private property fields, access is open to all via a broken masonry wall and non-locking gate. The pre- and post-WWII size of cemetery is 2300 sq. m (.026 ha) ha.
100-500 stones, most in original location, date from 1767-20th century. The mostly granite and marble flat shaped stones, finely smoothed and inscribed stones, flat stones with carved relief decoration, double tombstones or multi-stone monuments have Hebrew and German inscriptions. Some have metal fences around graves. The cemetery contains no known mass graves, structures, or special sections. Plzen Jewish community owns the Jewish cemetery. Adjacent properties are agricultural and forest. Rarely, private visitors and local residents stop. Vandalism occurred prior to World War II, by Nazis in 1938 and 1945-1981. Individuals or groups of non-Jewish origin and Jewish groups within country did restoration in 1990 but no maintenance now. Moderate threats: uncontrolled access and vandalism. Slight threats: weather erosion and pollution.
Vlastmila Hamackova, Zabelska 37, Jiri Fiedler, z"l completed survey on 25 December 1991. Documentation: Gold: Die Juden u. Judengemeinden Bohemens; notes of Statni Zidovske Muzeum about 1960; J. Herman: Jewish Cemeteries in Bohemia and Moravia 1980. Other documents exist. No site visits or interviews occurred.
|Last Updated on Thursday, 02 August 2012 15:34|