|SUSICE: Klatovy, Bohemia|
5 places in the Czech Republic are named Sušice. Medieval cemetery. Source . cemetery photo and cemetery description in Czech with photos. Jewish houses were built in the south part of the ghetto street from the 17th century. The street burned down in 1923. Some houses were rebuilt. The old cemetery founded probably in 1626 with the oldest legible tombstone from 1708 includes Baroque and Classical tombstones. map with photo. [February 2009]
map and photos: "The town Sušice is sometimes called "the town of safety matches". It lies about 32 km SE of the town Klatovy in the valley of the Otava river near the border of the Protected Landscape Area Šumava (Bohemian Forest). The town was founded in the 8th century as a settlement near a gold-mining place. The former burial-ground on the eastern slope of Svatobor hill (845 m) above the town recalls the ancient seat. In the 12th century the small town was under the ownership of the Lords of Bavaria (Germany) and was connected to Bohemia in the 13th century. Not long after, it became a royal town and was fortified. During the Hussite Wars in the first half of the 15th century Sušice was the Hussite town. After the battle on Bílá Hora (White Mount; 1620 - the battle of Czech aristocracy against the Habsburgs' monarchy) most of the properties were confiscated. The destruction of the town was by fire in 1707, when most of it burnt. The production of safety matches dates to 1838 and has ever since. Vestiges of the chalet from the Middle Stone Age (about 10,000 B.C.) were discovered not far from Sušice. It presents the oldest proof of inhabitants in the Šumava mountains.The oldest preserved site is the remains of the Gothic town walls built in 1332. One of the oldest is St. Wenceslas' Church founded in the first half of the 14th century. It was built in the site of the original chapel, which became a sacristy of the new church. After the fire of the town in 1707 the church was rebuilt into the Baroque style. The Renaissance town hall, which was reconstructed to the present appearance in 1850, can be found in the centre of the town. The Capuchins' monastery with the Church of St. Felix of Nola founded in 1654 stands on the outskirts of Sušice. The Early-Baroque Chapel of the Guardian Angel with the large cloister (added in 1735) was built between 1682 - 1683 on the hill called Stráž (Guard) above the town. In the square is the Museum of Šumava with exhibitons about the region on the upper reaches of the Otava river, the history of the production of safety matches and glassworks in the region. One exhibition is dedicated to the work of the writer Karel Klostermann. The building of the Museum is a typical example of the Late-Gothic town architecture." [February 2009] NEARBY:
Hamižná Hora hill
ruins of the Rabí castle
ruins of the Velhartice castle
small village Rejštejn
Czech Heritage Action Initiative (CHAI) is working on the restoration of Jewish cemeteries in the Czech Republic. CHAI is a non-profit organization led by Lisa Feder of Deerfield, IL that works with the Czech Federation of Jewish Communities. The Federation includes ten local Jewish communities in the Czech Republic. CHAI projects include the restoration of Jewish cemetery in Sušice. [May 2010]
SUSICE (I): US Commission No. CZCE000179
Alternate names: Sušice [Cz], Schüttenhofen [Ger]. Susice is located in Bohemia, Klatovy at 49°13′52″N 13°31′13″E , 25 km SE of Klatovy; 36 miles S of Plzeň (Pilsen). The old cemetery is located 250 m SW. Present town population is 5,000-25,000 with no Jews.
Earliest known Jewish community was second half of 17th century. 1930 Jewish population was 112. Pogrom occurred in 1866. Jews moved to big towns in second half of 19th century. Family Furth founded local match factory. The Jewish cemetery originated about 1626 with last known Conservative or Progressive/Reform Jewish burial in 1874. Hradek (Ger.Burgel) and Petrovice, 3 km and 6 km away, used this landmarked cemetery (7483384 or 3430, category II). The urban, isolated flat land has a Czech sign or plaque mentioning the Jewish community. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open with permission via continuous masonry wall and locking gate. The pre- and post-WWII size of cemetery is 0.43 ha. 2
0-100 stones, all in original location, date from 1660 to 19th century. The cemetery has no special sections. The marble flat shaped stones, flat stones with carved relief decoration or double tombstones have Hebrew, German and Czech inscriptions. Plzen Jewish community owns the property with no known mass graves or structures. Adjacent properties are residential. Occasionally, private visitors stop. This cemetery was not vandalized. Local non-Jewish residents and Jewish groups within country did restoration in 1989. Now, authorities and regular caretaker paid by Plzen Jewish congregation occasionally clean or clear. Slight threats: uncontrolled access, weather erosion, pollution, vegetation and vandalism.
Marketa Cibulkova, Serikova 20, 317 05 Plzen; tel. 019/416-87; Dr. Peter Braun, Komenskeho 43, 323 13 Plzen; tel. 019/52-15-58; Rudolf Loewy, Jesenicka 33, 323 23 Plzen; tel. 019/52-06-84; and Jiri Fiedler, Brdickova 1916, 155 00 Praha 5; tel. 02/55-33-40 completed survey on 22 May 1992. Documentation: Gold: Juden...Bohemens. (1980); notes of Statni Zidovske Muzeum Praha; O.J.Gabriel: Kralovske mesto Susice. (1863); and census. Other documentation was inaccessible. The site was not visited. Lubomir Smolik was interviewed.
SUSICE (II): US Commission No. CZCE000180
The new cemetery is located at 1 km SW. Keyholder/caretaker is Hotel Fialka (by the desk in hall), Main Square, 342 01 Susice. The Jewish cemetery originated in 1874 with last known Jewish Conservative or Progressive/Reform burial in 1940. Buried in the cemetery are Furth Family. The isolated suburban hillside has a sign or plaque in Czech mentioning the Jewish community. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open with permission via continuous masonry wall and locking gate. The pre- and post-WWII size of cemetery is 0.1973 ha.
100-500 stones, all in original locations, date from 1874-20th century. The marble, granite and limestone flat shaped stones, finely smoothed and inscribed stones, flat stones with carved relief decoration or multi-stone monuments have Hebrew, German and Czech inscriptions. Some tombstones have other metallic elements, portraits on stones and/or metal fences around graves. The cemetery contains no known mass graves or structures or special sections. Plzen Jewish community owns the Jewish cemetery. Adjacent properties are residential. Rarely, private visitors stop. Vandalism occurred 1945-1981. Lewis Weiner in Holliswood, N.Y. did restoration in 1987, 1988, and 1989. Now, Jewish survivors pay a regular caretaker. Slight threats: uncontrolled access, weather erosion, vegetation and vandalism. See Susice (I) above for survey information.
|Last Updated on Wednesday, 05 May 2010 14:16|