|STUDENY: Benesov, Bohemia|
Burial list [February 2009]
map and photos: "The small town Studená lies about 13 km west of the town Telč. It is situated in the basin of the Studenovský Potok (Studenov Stream) on the border of large forests of the Českomoravská Vrchovina (Czech-Moravian Uplands). It used to be a small village with a fortress in the 14th century. A lot of owners often changed here. At the end of the 16th century Studená was a small town with brewery and malt-house and it became property f Zachariáš of Hradec. He rebuilt the fortress into the Renaissance chateau. The dominant feature of the town is the St Procopius Church built at the beginning of the 14th century and rebuilt into the Baroque style after big fire in 1750. Another reconstruction was in 1855, but the core of the church has preserved the original face." [February 2009] NEARBY:
small town Počátky
town and chateau Telč
US Commission No. CZCE000260
Alternate name: Studena in German. Studeny is located in Bohemia, Benesov at 49º36' 15.09'. Studeny is 38 km NE of Tabor, 36 km SE of Benesov. Cemetery: 700 m SE. Present town population is under 1,000 with no Jews.
There was no Jewish community in Studeny. 1930 Jewish population was 3 in Studeny and 5 in Krivsoudov in 1930. The Jewish cemetery originated perhaps 1700 with last known Conservative or Progressive/Reform Jewish burial 1929. Krivsoudov (probably from first half of 19th century) and probably Cechtice, 4 km and 6 km away, used this landmarked cemetery. The flat isolated rural (agricultural) site without sign or marker is reached by crossing private meadow. Access is open to all via a continuous masonry wall with one gap and a non-locking gate. The pre- and post-WWII size of cemetery is 0.091 ha.
100-500 stones, most in original locations date from 18th-20th century. The granite flat shaped stones, finely smoothed and inscribed stones, flat stones with carved relief decoration, double tombstones or multi-stone monuments have Hebrew, German and Czech inscriptions. Some have traces of painting on their surfaces. Within the limits of the site is a pre-burial house ruin but no known mass graves or special sections. Praha Jewish community owns cemetery. Adjacent properties are agricultural. Rarely, private visitors and local residents stop. Vandalism occurred in 1945-1981. Jewish groups within the country did the restoration occasionally in the 80's. Now, there is occasional clearing or cleaning by individuals. Serious threat: vandalism. Moderate threat: vegetation.
Jiri Fiedler, z"l, Brdickova 1916, 155 00 Praha 5, tel.(02) 55-33-40 completed survey on 9 June 1992. Documentation: Jahrbuch fur die israelische Kultusgemeinden Bohems (1894-95); cadastre of 1838; 1984 letters of local historian E.Sereda. No site visits or interviews occurred.
|Last Updated on Friday, 27 February 2009 16:45|