|STRITEZ: Jihlava, Bohemia|
US Commission No. CZCE000177
Alternate name: Schrittenz in German. Stritez is located in Bohemia-Jihlava at 49º25' 15.38', 7 km N of Jihlava. Cemetery: 0.5 km SW. Present town population is under 1,000 with no Jews.
Earliest known Jewish community was 18th century. The Jewish population was 9 in 1920 and 12 in 1935. A Jewish "community" never exists. The Jewish cemetery originated in 18th century with last known Conservative Jewish burial on March 18, 1939. Stoky, 5 km away, used this landmarked cemetery (Nr. 5233 S.M.). The isolated rural (agricultural) hillside by water has no sign or marker. Reached by crossing public field, access is open to all via a continuous masonry wall with no gate. The pre- and post-WWII size of cemetery is 0.0547 ha.
20-100 stones, all in original location, date from 1834-20th century. The marble and granite flat shaped stones, finely smoothed and inscribed stones or flat stones with carved relief decoration have Hebrew, German and Czech inscriptions. Some have traces of painting on their surfaces. The cemetery contains special memorial monuments to Holocaust victims but no known mass graves or structures. Brno Jewish community owns the Jewish cemetery. Adjacent properties are agricultural. Occasionally, private visitors stop. Vandalism occurred during World War II and 1945-1981. Individuals or groups of non-Jewish origin and Jewish individuals abroad did restoration annually but only occasional clearing or cleaning by individuals now. Moderate threats: uncontrolled access, pollution, vegetation and vandalism. Slight threats: weather erosion, existing and proposed nearby development.
Engineer Architect Jaroslav Klenovsky, Zebetinska 13, 623 00 Brno; tel. 0 completed survey on March 1, 1992. Documentation: Herman. Other exisiting documentation was not used. No site visits or interviews occurred.
|Last Updated on Wednesday, 25 February 2009 22:38|