|STRAZ: Tachov okres, Plzen, Bohemia|
Straz Jewish Cemetery is just off the side of the road in a wooden area. The cemetery was well tended but locked up. [February 2009]
US Commission No. CZCE000291
Alternate German name: Neustadtl am Klinger. Straz is located in Bohemia, Tachov at 49º40' 12.47', 4 km S of Bor; 13 km SE of Tachov; 42 km WSW of Plzen. Cemetery: 1100 m NW of square. Present town population is under 1,000 with no Jews.
Earliest known Jewish community was 16th century but congregation was probably older. 1930 Jewish population was 31. Jewish community from 14th or 15th century probably was banished before 1620. New congregation was recorded in second half of 17th century. Peak of Jewish population in first half of 19th century with 47 families permitted. Jews moved to big towns since mid-19th century. Archives of congregation burned in 1876. One man survived Holocaust. The Jewish cemetery originated in allegedly 1330, recorded in 1450 with last known Conservative Jewish burial before 1939. Bernartice (Ger.: Pernartitz), 5 km away, used this unlandmarked cemetery. The isolated rural (agricultural) hillside has no sign or marker. Reached by crossing private pastures, access is open to all via a broken masonry wall and non-locking gate. The pre- and post-WWII size of cemetery is 0.26 ha.
1-20 stones, none in original locations, are sandstone flat shaped stones with Hebrew and German inscriptions. The cemetery contains no known mass graves or structures but has special section for Cohanim. Plzen Jewish community owns the Jewish cemetery. Adjacent properties are agricultural. Rarely, private visitors stop. Vandalism occurred prior to World War II 1938 by Nazis, during World War II, 1945-1981, and never in 1981-91 with no maintenance. Slight threats: weather erosion, pollution, vegetation, vandalism, and existing and proposed nearby development.
|Last Updated on Wednesday, 25 February 2009 20:21|