STADLEC: Tabor, Bohemia Print

cemetery photos [February 2009]

 

map and photos: "The village Stádlec is situated 14 km SW of the town Tábor near the Lužnice river. Stádlec is first documented in the 13th century. The Renaissance mansion, which stands in the square, dates from around 1560 but enlarged and remodeled in the Baroque style between 1730 and  1740 and formerly the property of important Czech inventor František Křižík, who lived here the last years of his life. The volute gable is closed with the turret with the dome.The big Baroque chapel built in the 1720's stands in the mansion area. The unique suspension bridge spans the Lužnice river not far from Stádlec on the road in the direction of the small town Malšice." [February 2009]

 

US Commission No. CZCE000403

Alternate German name: Stachletz. Stadlec is located in Bohemia-Tabor at 49º23 14º30, 13 km WSW of Tabor and 45 km N of Ceske Budejovice. Cemetery: 1.5 km S. Present town population is under 1,000 with no Jews.

  • Town: Obecni urad, 391 62 Stadlec; tel. 0361/952-14.
  • Regional: Jewish Congregation: Ms. Jana Wolfova, Zidovska Nabozenska Obec v Praze, Maislova 18, 110 01 Praha 1; tel. 02/231-69-25 and Okresni Urad-Referat Kultury, Palackeho 350, 390 01 Tabor; tel. 0361/22646.
  • Interested: Husitske Muzeum, namesti Mikulase z Husi 44, 390 01 Tabor; tel. 0361/22242 and Statni Zidovske Muzeum, Jachymova 3, 110 01 Praha 1; tel. 02/231-06-34.

Earliest known Jewish community was before 1830. 1930 Jewish population was 6. The Jewish population peaked in mid-19th century (20 families). Later, Jews moved to big towns. Native Josef Zalud (1850-1923), prominent activist of Czech-Jewish movement, lived here. The unlandmarked Jewish cemetery originated before 1822 with last known Conservative or Progressive/Reform Jewish burial before 1943. Between fields and woods near an urban creek, the flat isolated land has no sign or marker. Reached by crossing private field after turning directly off a public road of a cooperative, access is open to all via a broken masonry wall without gate. The pre- and post-WWII size of cemetery is about 0.0539 ha.

20-100 stones date from 1821-20th century. The granite and sandstone flat shaped stones, finely smoothed and inscribed stones or multi-stone monuments have Hebrew and German inscriptions. Some have metal fences around graves. The cemetery contains no known mass graves or structures. Praha Jewish community owns cemetery. Adjacent properties are agricultural. Rarely, private visitors and local residents stop.
Vandalism occurred during World War II, occasionally 1945-1991 with no maintenance. Moderate threats: uncontrolled access, weather erosion, pollution, vandalism and existing nearby development. Slight threat: proposed nearby development.

Ladislav Mertl, Mgr. of Geography, Kubankske namesti 1322/17, Praha 10-Vrsovice; tel. 02/743213 and Jiri Fiedler, z"l, Brickova 1916, 155 00 Praha 5; tel. 02/55-33-40 completed survey in August 1992. Documentation: Jan Herman: Jewish Cemeteries of Bohemia and Moravia (1980); notes of Statni Zidovske Muzeum Praha; and censuses of 1830, 1930, and 1991. Other documentation was inaccessible. The site was not visited. Blazena Urgosikova (native of Stadlec) was interviewed in Praha in 1988.

Last Updated on Wednesday, 25 February 2009 18:49