|SPALENE PORICI: Plzen-jih, Bohemia|
photos. Bren-Proritschen, south of Pilsen. The Jewish settlement probably dates from before 1623, but other sources say after the Thirty Years War. These Jews lived in several houses in the village rebuilt because of damage by fire and flood. The "Jewish road" built in 1680 had original buildings including the cheder or butcher´s house, with its original black kosher kitchen divided into two parts. Most of the original buldings preserved have been renovated including farm buildings along the road to Pilsen, some built old country style. The synagogue stood until 1946 by the brook behind the Jewish house. The mikvas were situated there too. The number of Jews was continuously increased so that in 1825 they built a hospital. In 1865 match works with a branch of Pilsen were established by the Jewish businessman Eckstein. The match factory in Susice replaced it. Later, the number of Jews decreased until just before WWII when eight men and women were deported. Only two women returned from the concentration camps. Frantisek Ehrman and his wife survived the Holocaust because Matej Homola hid them in his house in Nechanice for two and a half years. The Jewish cemetery is situated on the hill on the edge of the village. Recently reconstructed, several old tombstones with rich sculptural decoration and some newer tombstones remain. [February 2009]
US Commission No. CZCE000402
Alternate German name: Brennporitschen and Breen-Poritschen. Spalene Porici is located in Bohemia-Plzen-jih (Pilsen-South), 14 km S of Rokycany and 21 km SE of Plzen. Cemetery: 250 meters NW of Catholic church in Prazska Street. Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.
Dr. Peter Braun, Komenskeho 43, 323 13 Plzen; tel. 019/52-15-58 and Rudolf Loey, Jesenicka 33, 323 23 Plzen; tel. 019/52-06-84 and Jiri Fiedler, Brickova 1916, 155 00 Praha 5; tel. 02/55-33-40 completed survey on 1 September 1992. Documentation: Jahrbuch fur die israelische Cultusgemeinden Bohemens (1894-1895); Hugo Gold: Die Juden und Judengemeinden Bohemens (1934); Jan Herman: Jewish Cemeteries in Bohemia and Moravia (1980); notes of Vaclav Davidek: Nase Spalenoproricksko (1942) Statni Zidovske Muzeum Praha (from 1955 and 1966). No site visits or interviews occurred.
|Last Updated on Thursday, 26 February 2009 12:14|