You are here: Home Eastern Europe Czech Republic SPALENE PORICI: Plzen-jih, Bohemia
SPALENE PORICI: Plzen-jih, Bohemia PDF Print E-mail

Spalene Porici town image and cemetery photo [February 2009]

photos. Bren-Proritschen, south of Pilsen. The Jewish settlement probably dates from before 1623, but other sources say after the Thirty Years War. These Jews lived in several houses in the village rebuilt because of damage by fire and flood. The "Jewish road" built in 1680 had original buildings including the cheder or butcher´s house, with its original black kosher kitchen divided into two parts. Most of the original buldings preserved have been renovated including farm buildings along the road to Pilsen, some built old country style. The synagogue stood until 1946 by the brook behind the Jewish house. The mikvas were situated there too. The number of Jews was continuously increased so that in 1825 they built a hospital. In 1865 match works with a branch of Pilsen were established by the Jewish businessman Eckstein. The match factory in Susice replaced it. Later, the number of Jews decreased until just before WWII when eight men and women were deported. Only two women returned from the concentration camps. Frantisek Ehrman and his wife survived the Holocaust because Matej Homola hid them in his house in Nechanice for two and a half years. The Jewish cemetery is situated on the hill on the edge of the village. Recently reconstructed, several old tombstones with rich sculptural decoration and some newer tombstones remain. [February 2009]

 

US Commission No. CZCE000402

Alternate German name: Brennporitschen and Breen-Poritschen. Spalene Porici is located in Bohemia-Plzen-jih (Pilsen-South), 14 km S of Rokycany and 21 km SE of Plzen. Cemetery: 250 meters NW of Catholic church in Prazska Street. Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.

  • Town: Mestsky Urad, 335 61 Spalene Porici; tel. 0185/941-36.
  • Regional: Okresni Urad-Referat Kultury, Radobycicka 14, 317 07 Plzen and Jewish congregation: Zidovska Nabozenska Obec, Smetany sady 5, 331 37 Plzen; tel. 019/357-49 and Pamatkovy ustav, Dominikanska 4/6, 301 00 Plzen; tel. 019/376-78 or 358-71.
  • Interested: Statni Zidovske Muzeum, Jachymova 3, 110 01 Praha 1; tel. 02/231-06-34 or 231-07-85; and Okresni Muzeum, 336 01 Blovice 148; tel. 0185/157.
Earliest known Jewish community was prayer house or synagogue recorded in 1650 (allegedly existed in late 16th century.) 1930 Jewish population was 23. Peak Jewish population was in second half of 18th-early 19th century with 160 people in 1783. In late 19th century and early 20th, Jews moved to big towns. Jewish resident was Kabalist Mordechai Goldscheider. The Jewish cemetery originated allegedly in late 16th century but probably in 17th century and recorded in 1783 with last known Conservative Jewish burial before 1943. Tenovice (German: Teniowitz) and Cicov (German: Tschitschow), 2 km and 5 km away, used this landmarked cemetery (Registration Number 4527). The isolated suburban hillside has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all via a broken masonry wall and non-locking gate. The pre- and post-WWII size of cemetery is 0.1036 ha. 20-100 stones, most in original location, date from 1801-20th century. The marble, granite and sandstone flat shaped stones, finely smoothed and inscribed stones, double tombstones or multi-stone monuments with Hebrew, German and Czech inscriptions. The cemetery has no special sections or structures. Plzen Jewish community owns Jewish cemetery. Adjacent properties are agricultural and residential. Rarely, private visitors stop. Vandalism occurred in 1945-1981 (after 1966) but liquidation of cemetery was planned in 1986. Jewish groups within country and abroad (group of 15 young persons with Rabbi Goldste from Northwood and Pinner Liberal Synagogue in London) did restoration in 1990 and 1992. Now, there is occasional clearing or cleaning by individuals and authorities. Slight threats: weather erosion and vegetation.
Dr. Peter Braun, Komenskeho 43, 323 13 Plzen; tel. 019/52-15-58 and Rudolf Loey, Jesenicka 33, 323 23 Plzen; tel. 019/52-06-84 and Jiri Fiedler, z"l, Brickova 1916, 155 00 Praha 5; tel. 02/55-33-40 completed survey on 1 September 1992. Documentation: Jahrbuch fur die israelische Cultusgemeinden Bohemens (1894-1895); Hugo Gold: Die Juden und Judengemeinden Bohemens (1934); Jan Herman: Jewish Cemeteries in Bohemia and Moravia (1980); notes of Vaclav Davidek: Nase Spalenoproricksko (1942) Statni Zidovske Muzeum Praha (from 1955 and 1966). No site visits or interviews occurred.
Last Updated on Thursday, 26 February 2009 12:14
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution