SLAVONICE: Jindřichův Hradec, Bohemia Print

 

(Zlabings in German) used cemeteries at Stare Mesto Pod Landstejnem, at Dolni Bolikov, and at Pisecne. A synagogue from 1895 was transformed into a house containing flats, currently No. 494. The town is 1 km from the Austrian border and is famous for AOK Mariz ceramics. [February 2009]

 

map and photos: "The old-time town Slavonice [48°59′51″N 15°21′05″E] is very well-known due to the unique preserved Renaissance centre, which is protected by the UNESCO. It lies near the Czech-Austrian border about 12 km south-west of the town Dačice and about 30 km south-east of the town Jindřichův Hradec. Slavonice is first mentioned in the 12th century as a village near the trade route to Vienna (Austria). A new small market town was founded in the surroundings later. It soon became a town and in the middle of the 14th century was fortified. The biggest boom came in the second half of the 15th and the 16th century, when regular transport between Prague and Vienna ran through the town and gold and silver mines were in the region. During the Thirty Years' War the town first lost many rights and privileges and after its capture by Swedish soldiery in 1645 Slavonice became poor. It then declined further and after the local post-office closed in 1760 it remained without any importance. The town was out of all important connections and trails and it was slowly abandoned. Its Renaissance appearance did not change and has been preserved up till the present day. The compact collection of the Late-Gothic and Renaissance citizen houses, which were built around the middle of the 16th century, has been preserved in the centre. The houses have diamond vaults in its interiors and graffiti facades. Only remains of the northern and eastern parts of the town walls and five bastions have been preserved from the original solid fortification. Two remaining town gates in the historical part are in good condition as well. The centre of the town comprises of two squares, the lower and upper one, which are separated with the Church of the Assumption of Virgin Mary. Both of them are bordered with Late-Gothic and Renaissance houses, which are counted among the most valuable in Bohemia. The Church of St. John the Baptist, which was founded as a part of the town hospital, stands not far from the square on the eastern outskirts of the town. A large drainage-system of tunnels, which were secondary used as defensive and safety trails, leads under the historical centre. A part is open to the public in present. The town museum with exhibitions of the town and archeological discoveries in the surroundings is located in the lower square." town photos. [February 2009] NEARBY:

Late-Gothic Church of the Holy Ghost towers above the town on a hill, north-west of the centre.

Montserrat can be found about 4 km north-east of the town.

Graselova Stezka (Grasel's Trail) leads from Slavonice to the village Český Rudolec.

ruins of the Landštejn castle

reserve Hadí Vrch

village Český Rudolec

small town Staré Město

small town Nová Bystřice

town Dačice

Last Updated on Wednesday, 25 February 2009 16:33