SLATINA: Klatovy, Bohemia Print
The cemetery was founded in 1723 as extension of an older burial ground. The oldest legible tombstone is from about 1750. There are about 170 Baroque and Classicist tombstones. The synagogue built in place of a former wooden one 1850 in Classical style was renovated in 1983 into a flat with the chapel serving as a memorial hall.[February 2009]

 

US Commission No.CZCE000171

Slatina is located in Bohemia, Klatovy at 49º23 13º44, 8 km NNE of Horazdovice and 45 km SE of Plzen. Cemetery: 1 km N. Present town population is under 1,000 with no Jews.

  • Town: Obecni urad, 340 14 Slatina.
  • Regional: Okresni Urad-Referat Kultury, 339 01 Klatovy and Jewish Congregation: Zidovska Nabozenska Obec, Smetanovy sady 5, 301 37 Plzen; tel. 019/357-49.
  • Interested: Dr. Lubos Smolik, Director of Okresni Muzeum, Hostasova 1/IV, 339 01 Klatovy; tel. 0186/2309 and Ladislav Harasek, local historian, 340 14 Slatina cp. 53 and Statni Zidovske Muzeum, Jachymova 3, 110 01 Praha 1; tel. 02/231-06-34 or 231-07-85.

Earliest known Jewish community was first half of 18th century allegedly but recorded at end of 18th century. 1930 Jewish population was 0; the last Jewish inhabitant was killed in WWI. Jews moved to big towns in the second half of the 19th century. The unlandmarked Jewish cemetery originated before 1668 with last known Conservative or Progressive/Reform Jewish burial in 1937. The wooded and isolated hillside has no sign or marker. Reached by crossing private property forest, access is open to all via a broken masonry wall and non-locking gate. The pre- and post-WWII size of cemetery is 0.1061 ha.

100-500 stones, most in original location, date from 1755 to 19th century. The granite and limestone flat shaped stones or double tombstones have Hebrew, German and Czech inscriptions. The cemetery contains no known mass graves, structures, or special sections. The present cemetery property owner is unknown. Used only as a Jewish cemetery, adjacent properties are forest. Rarely, private visitors stop. Vandalism occurred during World War II or 1945-1981 with no maintenance. Moderate threat: uncontrolled access, vegetation and vandalism. Slight threat: weather erosion, pollution and existing nearby development.

Marketa Cibulkova, Serikova 20, 317 05 Plzen; tel. 019/416-87; Dr. Peter Braun, Komenskeho 43, 323 13 Plzen; tel. 019/52-15-58; Rudolf Loewy, Jesenicka 33, 323 23 Plzen; tel. 019/52-06-84; and Jiri Fiedler, z"l, Brickova 1916, 155 00 Praha 5; tel. 02/55-33-40 completed survey on 22 May 1992. Documentation: Hugo Gold: Die Juden und Judengemeinden Bohemens (1934); Jan Herman: Jewish Cemeteries of Bohemia and Moravia (1980); notes of Statni Zidovske Muzeum (1956); local history of Slatina. The site was not visited. L. Smolik in 1992 and L. Harasek, 1983 and 1987 were interviewed.

Last Updated on Wednesday, 25 February 2009 17:56