|SIROKE TREBCICE: Chomutov, Bohemia|
US Commission No.CZCE000399
Alternate German name: Weiten-Trebetitsch; c Rozlezle Trebcice. Siroke Trebcice is located in Bohemia, Chomutov at 50º17 13º24, 20 km SSW of Chomutov and 35 km ENE of Karlovy Vary. Cemetery: 1100 meters E of village green, close to brook. Present town population is under 1,000 with no Jews.
Earliest known Jewish community was 1724 but congregation was older. 1930 Jewish population was 5. Peak Jewish population was in first half of 19th century with 57 families permitted, approximately 400 people or over 50% of total population. Later, Jews moved to big towns. Independent congregation disbanded in 1929. The unlandmarked Jewish cemetery originated probably in first half of 18th century; rulebook of Chevra Kadisha is dated 1743/1744 with last known Conservative Jewish burial before 1940. The isolated rural (agricultural) hillside by water has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all via a broken masonry wall and non-locking gate. The approximate size of cemetery before WWII was 2167 ha and is now 2167 ha.
20-100 stones date from 18th-20th century. The limestone and sandstone flat shaped stones, finely smoothed and inscribed stones, flat stones with carved relief decoration or multi-stone monuments have Hebrew and German inscriptions. The cemetery contains no known mass graves or structures. Usti nad Labem Jewish community owns cemetery used only as a Jewish cemetery. Adjacent properties are agricultural. Rarely, private visitors stop. Vandalism occurred during World War II, occasionally 1945-1991 with no maintenance. Serious threat: vegetation and vandalism. Moderate threat: weather erosion. Slight threat: uncontrolled access, pollution, existing and proposed nearby development.
Ladislav Mertl, Mgr. of Geography, Kubankske namesti 1322/17, Praha 10-Vrsovice; tel. 02/743213 and Jiri Fiedler, z"l, Brickova 1916, 155 00 Praha 5; tel. 02/55-33-40 completed survey on May, 1992. Documentation: Hugo Gold: Die Juden und Judengemeinden Bohemens (1934); cadastrea of 1942 and 1860; censuses of 1724, 1849, 1930, and 1991. No site visits or interviews occurred.
|Last Updated on Wednesday, 25 February 2009 13:19|