|ROZNOV POD RADHOSTEM: Vsetin, Moravia|
a town now in Zlín Region. Rožnov was founded in the period of the first farming in the 13th century. From the 16th century clearings began ton the foothills and in the mountains around the town formed two separate settlements, Dolní and Horní Paseky, in the valleys near two mountain streams. Shepherds´ huts began to appear above Rožnov on Mt. Radhošť, Mt. Černá and Bača´s hill. In the 19th Rožnov had 3,000 strictly traditional and poor inhabitants. The original lay-out of the town square was preserved with its forty wooden two-story houses joined at the front by picturesque arcades. In the 19th century, Rožnov became a reputable spa for "sick lungs" using warm sheep whey. They came to Rožnov from all over the Austria-Hungeria Empire including Sigmund Freud, the founder of psychoanalysis, and Johann Gregor Mendel, the founder of genetics. The spa elevated the town's culture. A large spa park with orchestra was created and later a spa house. In 1862 one of the first choir in Moravia, was founded in there. Rožnov townsmen became dissatisfied with their wooden houses and replaced them with stone buildings except for a few that became the Wallachian Museum. An airport and railway from Rožnov now provides for tourism through Valašské Meziříčí. The town is called the heart of Wallachia and „the gate" to the Moravian-Silesian Beskydy Mountains. [February 2009]
US Commission No. CZCE000397
Alternate German name: Rosenau. Roznov Pod Radhostem is located in Moravia, Vsetin at , 12 km ESE of Valasske Mezirici and 41 km SSW of center of Ostrava. Cemetery: 1700 meters NE in Horni Paseky quarter near road leading to Frenstat pod Radhostem. Present town population is 5,000-25,000 [20,000 in 2005] with than 10 Jews.
There was no Jewish community in Roznov p. R., only a seasonal prayer room recorded since second half of 19th century until WWII for spa visitors. 1930 Jewish population was 11. A few Jewish families living in Roznov p.R. belonged to congregation and synagogue in Valasske Mezirici http://www.zchor.org/valasske.htm ], 12 km away. The unlandmarked Jewish cemetery originated probably in 1880s or 1890s with last known Conservative Jewish burial in 1930s. The Jewish community was in Valasske Mezirici. The flat suburban site, separate but near cemeteries, has no sign or marker. Reached by crossing private property garden in disbanded part of cemetery, access is entirely closed by a continuous fence with no gate. The approximate size of cemetery before WWII was 0.2027 ha and is now 0.0194 ha.
1-20 stones, all in original location, date from end of 19th-20th centuries. The granite and sandstone flat shaped stones and finely smoothed and inscribed stones with Hebrew and German inscriptions. The cemetery contains no known mass graves and no structures but new dwelling is in disbanded part of cemetery. Ostrava Jewish community owns the Jewish cemetery. Adjacent properties are agricultural garden. The boundaries are smaller than 1939 because of housing development, private house, and agriculture garden. Rarely, private visitors stop. Vandalism occurred during World War II. 1945-1981: both walls and big sandstone gate were stolen; vast majority of tombstones were stolen. There is no maintenance. Moderate threat: weather erosion and existing nearby development. Slight threat: vegetation.
Engineer arch Jaroslav Klenovsky, Zebetinska 13, 623 00 Brno; tel. 0 and Jiri Fiedler, z"l, Brickova 1916, 155 00 Praha 5; tel. 02/55-33-40 completed survey on 8 September 1992. No documentation or site visites but Dr. Jiri Langer of I Roznov p. R museum was interviewed by telephone in 1992.
|Last Updated on Tuesday, 24 February 2009 23:10|