|ROZMBERK NAD VLTAVOU: (Horní Jílovice) Cesky Krumlov, Bohemia|
Rosenberg, Rosenberg an der Moldau, Rožmberk, Rožmberk nad Vltavou. 48°39' N 14°22' E, 98.7 miles S of Praha.
website in Czech with photo: NEW CEMETERY, landmarked and freely accessible: "The new cemetery is located 1 km N of the town Rožmberk on the road to Cesky Krumlov in Horní Jílovice village, near the village Studenec. Founded in 1883 on 2,290 m2, about 100 tombstones are visible since the establishment of the cemetery in 1950. The area was a cemetery after WWII ended, built on the northern border of the cemetery with a new wall of concrete blocks. A mortuary was demolished. The remaining area of the cemetery is unused. This cemetery was not maintained until the 1990s when the area was overgrown with thick bushes. The cemetery was cleaned in 2003 to 2004 and part of the ruined wall fixed. In 2007 fallen tombstones were righted. Ongoing maintenance needed and repair of other parts of the wall. " [September 2011]
map and photos: "The small town is well known due to the castle of the same name, one of the oldest castles in South Bohemia, and due to a favourite camping place of canoeist on the Vltava river. Rožmberk nad Vltavou lies 24 km south of the town Český Krumlov. The town was founded in 1262 by Vok from Rožmberk as a settlement on the Vltava river below the new castle, which was built here on the rocky spit above the river. The Rožmberks owned the town until 1611. The other owners were the Švamberks (to 1620) and then the family Buquoy. The town walls, which were built beside the castle in the 14th century, have been preserved. Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary is a significant example of South Bohemian Gothic architecture. The three-aisled church with the huge tower originates from the second half of the 15th century and is arched with the tracery vault. There is a Baroque altar from the second half of the 17th century in the church." Population is 330. The town developed on a trade route. [February 2009]
town image [February 2009]
ROZMBERK NAD VLTAVOU: (I) US Commission No. CZCE000048:
Alternate name: Rosenberg a.d. Moldau; Rosenberg in German. Rozmberk Nad Vltavou is located in Bohemia, Cesky Krumlov at 48°39′19″N 14°22′01″E , 17 km SSE of Cesky Krumlov and 35 km SSW of Ceske Budejovice. The old cemetery is located 100 meters S of the square, close to the town wall near Horni ulice (street). Present town population is under 1,000 with no Jews.
Earliest known Jewish community was allegedly 14th century, probably 17th century, and recorded in 1724. 1930 Jewish population was 12. Old archives of congregation (allegedly of medieval origin) burned in 18th century. Scanty congregation in 18th and 19th centuries had 6-12 families. Jews moved to big towns in 20th century and were expelled by Nazis in 1938. The Jewish cemetery originated in allegedly 14th century, recorded in 1724 with allegedly 4 layers of graves with last known Conservative Jewish burial about 1883. Linz (Austria) before founding of local cemetery; Cesky Krumlov (Ger: Krumau) before 1891, 38 km and 17 km away, used this landmarked cemetery. The isolated urban/suburban flat land has no sign, but has Jewish symbols on gate or wall and inscriptions in German on remains of crushed tablet with the cemetery history. Reached by turning directly off a public road and crossing private gardens of former part of cemetery, access is open with permission via continuous masonry wall, a continuous fence, and locking gate. The approximate size of cemetery before WWII was 0.052 ha and is now approximately 0.0015-0.002 ha.
20-30 stones, none in original location, date from mid-18th-19th centuries. The granite, limestone and sandstone flat shaped stones or flat stones with carved relief decoration have Hebrew inscriptions. The cemetery contains no known mass graves or structures. Praha Jewish community owns the site used for Jewish cemetery in reduced cemetery, agriculture (crops or animal grazing) gardens, recreation (park, playground, athletic field), and courtyards. Adjacent properties are recreational weekend houses and agricultural. The boundaries are smaller than 1939 because of housing development, courtyards, and agriculture gardens. Occasionally, organized Jewish tours or pilgrimage groups and private visitors stop. Vandalism occurred prior to World War II, probably 1938 by Nazis, during World War II, before 1945, occasionally 1945-1991 with about 40 tombstones stolen in the 1960's and 1970's. Local non-Jewish residents and Jewish individuals within country did restoration 1980-1992. Now, there is unpaid regular caretaker. Slight threat: uncontrolled access and vandalism.
PhDr. Jan Podlesak, Bezdrevska 1021/8, 370 11 Ceske Budejovice; tel. 038/371-41 and Jiri Fiedler, Brickova 1916, 155 00 Praha 5; tel. 02/55-33-40 completed survey on 5 August 1992. Documentation: archives of PhDr. J. Podlesak; census of 1724; cadastre of 1827, 1854, and 1875; Jahrbuch fur die israelische Cultusgemeinden Bohemens (1894-1895); Hugo Gold: Die Juden und Judengemeinden Bohemens (1934); Adolf Kalny: Zidovska obec v Rozmberku n.V. (in Zidovska Rocenka 1987/1988); Anna Kubikova: Zanikla zidovska obec v Rozmberku n.V. (in Jihocesky Sbornik Historicky, 1983, No.2); Viktor Kurrein (article in Rocenka pro dejiny Zidu ... 1930); research notes of Statni Zidovske Muzeum Praha about 1960. Other documentation was inaccessible. The site was visited. Elfreide Krabatschova and Marta Bartkova, both in Rozmberk n.V., 1992 were interviewed.
ROZMBERK NAD VLTAVOU II: US Commission No. CZCE000049:
The new cemetery is located 500 meters directly NNW of the square on the cadastre of Prizer, close to the road leading to Cesky Krumlov.
Interested: Franz Krabatsch, 382 18 Rozmberk n. V 23.
The landmarked Jewish cemetery originated probably in 1883 with last known Conservative Jewish burial in 1950. Cesky Krumlov (Ger: Krumau), 17 km away, used site before 1891. The isolated small settlement flat land has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all via a continuous masonry wall and non-locking gate. The approximate size of cemetery before WWII was approximately 0.15 ha and is now approximately 0.1 ha.
20-100 stones, all in original location, date from early 1880s-20th century. The marble, granite and one iron flat shaped stones, finely smoothed and inscribed stones, flat stones with carved relief decoration, multi-stone monuments, or obelisks have Hebrew, German and Czech inscriptions. Some have metal fences around graves. The cemetery contains special memorial monument to Holocaust victims (private memorial stone) but no known mass graves, structures or special sections. Praha Jewish community owns Jewish cemetery in reduced cemetery and waste dumping in separate spot without graves. Adjacent properties are agricultural and road. The boundaries are smaller than 1939 because of elimination of unused part of cemetery. Rarely, private visitors and local residents stop. This cemetery was not vandalized. Local non-Jewish residents and Jewish groups within country did restoration after WWII. Now, there is occasional clearing or cleaning by F. Krabatsch. Slight threat: uncontrolled access, vegetation and vandalism.
PhDr. Jan Podlesak, Bezdrevska 1021/8, 370 11 Ceske Budejovice; tel. 038/371-41 and Jiri Fiedler, Brickova 1916, 155 00 Praha 5; tel. 02/55-33-40 completed survey on 5 August 1992. Documentation: archives of PhDr. J. Podlesak; census 1724; Jahrbuch fur die israelische Cultusgemeinden Bohemens (1894-1895); Adolf Kalny: "Zidovska obec v Rozmberku n.V." (in Zidovska Rocenka 1987/1988); Anna Kubikova: "Zanikla zidovska obec v Rozmberku n.V." (in Jihocesky sbornik historicky, 1983,No.2). Other documentation was inaccessible. The site was visited. Elfriede Krabatschova, Rozmberk n.V. in 1992 were interviewed.
|Last Updated on Tuesday, 20 September 2011 13:48|