ROKYCANY: Bohemia Print

Rokycany photos. The Jewish settlement existed from 1589 until the Holocaust (1940).The Jewish cemetery dating from the 19th century [used the cemetery at Osek before 1890] is situated on the edge of the town behind the hospital. Only new tombstones remain in the used site. The ceremonial house with the hall was recently reconstructed for private purposes. The original synagogue built in 1871 was pulled down in 1981. An independent royal town since 1584) and was damaged several times by Swedish soldiers, the French army, and the Prussian army too and was reconstructed twice after fires. (1575 and 1784). In 1866 thePrussian army destroyed the town again. The wall around the town built in the 14th century has some remaining parts. Holocasut survivor Memoir of the town. [February 2009]

Cemetery: Jewish settlement in Rokycany was before 1589. However, the cemetery was founded in 19th century. The cemetery is situated at the edge of the town, northly beyond the hospital. Masarykovo nám. 1 , 33701 Rokycany 1, Městský úřad. This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it [February 2009]

 

US Commission No. CZCE000290
Alternate German name: Rokitzan. Rokycany is located in Bohemia, Rokycany at 49°44′33″N 13°35′44″E , 15 km E of Plzen. Cemetery: 1.5 km NNE of main square in Voldusska Street. Present town population is 5,000-25,000 with than 10 Jews.

  • Town: Mestsky Urad-oddeleni kultury, 337 01 Rokycany; tel. 0181/4878 and Mayor Vaclav Beneda at 0181/3141.
  • Regional: Jana Struncova (Inspector of Conservation), Okresni Urad-Referat Kultury, Jiraskova 68, 337 01 Rokycany; tel. 0181/2251 or 2341 and Jewish congregation: Zidovska Nabozenska Obec, Smetanovy sady 5, 301 37 Plzen; tel. 019/357-49 or 231-07-85.
  • Interested: Statni Zidovske Muzeum, Jachymova 3, 110 01 Praha 1; tel. 02/231-06-34 or 231-07-85 and Okresni Muzeum, Urbanovo namesti 141, 337 01 Rokycany; tel. 0181/2160 and
  • Caretaker with key: Pavel Schwarz, Noveho 604/II, 337 01 Rokycany; tel. 0181/3170.

Earliest known Jewish community was 1871. 1930 Jewish population was 59. 4 Jewish families permitted before 1848; Jews settled in surrounding villages in Rokycany after 1848. Independent congregation originated in 1781. Jewish population peaked about 1900 with 98 people in 1910, who later moved to Plzen, Praha, and Vienna. The unlandmarked Jewish cemetery originated in late 19th century, after 1893 with last known Conservative Jewish burial during WWII. The suburban flat isolated site has a Czech sign or plaque mentioning the Jewish community. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open with permission via a continuous masonry wall, a continuous wire fence, and locking gate. The approximate size of cemetery is now 0.1984 ha.

20-100 stones, most in original location, date from end of 19th-20th century. The marble, granite and limestone finely smoothed and inscribed stones or multi-stone monuments have Hebrew, German and Czech inscriptions. Some tombstones have iron decorations or lettering and/or metal fences around graves. The cemetery contains no known mass graves or special sections. Within the limits of the site is a pre-burial house with a chimney sold in 1970s. Plzen Jewish community owns the Jewish cemetery. Adjacent properties are commercial or industrial and agricultural. The boundaries are smaller than 1939 because cemetery part without gravestones is now the yard of new roads or highways workshop/ small manufacturer. Occasionally, private visitors stop. Vandalism occurred in 1945-1981. Jewish individuals and groups within country did restoration in 1975: wire fence with gate and 1989-1990. The Plzen Jewish congregation pays regular caretaker. Moderate threat: uncontrolled access. Slight threat: weather erosion, vegetation and vandalism.

Dr. Peter Braun, Komenskeho 43, 323 13 Plzen; tel. 019/52-15-58 and Rudolf Loewy, Jesenicka 33, 323 23 Plzen; tel. 019/52-06-84 and Jiri Fiedler, z"l, Brickova 1916, 155 00 Praha 5; tel. 02/55-33-40 on 2 November 1992. Documentation: censuses of 1724, 1830, and 1930; Jahrbuch fur die israelische Cultusgemeinden Bohemens (1894-1895); Hugo Gold: Die Juden und Judengemeinden Bohemens (1934); Jan Herman: Jewish Cemeteries in Bohemia and Moravia (1980). Other documentation exists but was inaccesible. No site visits or interviews occurred.

Last Updated on Wednesday, 25 February 2009 14:41