|RADOUN: Litomerice, Bohemia|
cemetery photos [February 2009]
US Commission No. CZCE000004
Alternate German name: Radaun. Radoun is located in Bohemia, Litomerice at 50÷28 14÷24, 42 km N of Praha and 17 km ESE of Terezin. Cemetery: 500 meters NW. Present town population is under 1,000 with no Jews.
Earliest known Jewish community was 18th century. 1921 Jewish population was 15. The Jewish cemetery originated probably in 1789 with last known Conservative or Progressive/Reform Jewish burial in maybe 1939. Libechov (German: Liboch) used this cemetery. The isolated rural (agricultural) hillside has no sign but has Jewish symbols on gate or wall. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all via a broken masonry wall without gate. The pre- and post-WWII size of cemetery is about 2300 sq. m.
20-100 stones, most in original location, date from 18th century. The granite and sandstone flat shaped stones, finely smoothed and inscribed stones, flat stones with carved relief decoration, or multi-stone monuments have Hebrew and German inscriptions. The cemetery contains no known mass graves but has a cistern and octagonal pre-burial house whose ceremonial hall has concrete dome with Mogen David on the top. Usti nad Labem Jewish community owns the site used only as a Jewish cemetery. Adjacent properties are agricultural. Rarely, private visitors and local residents stop. Vandalism occurred probably prior to World War II in 1938 by Nazis, during World War II, occasionally 1981-91 and 1945-1981. There is no maintenance. Serious threat: uncontrolled access. Moderate threat: weather erosion and vandalism. Slight threat: pollution and vegetation.
Jiri Fiedler, z"l, Brickova 1916, 155 00 Praha 5; tel. 02/55-33-40 completed survey on 10 November 1991. Documentation: plan of cemetery from 1909 and list of graves. No site visits or interviews occurred.
|Last Updated on Tuesday, 24 February 2009 16:54|