PUKLICE: Jihlava, Moravia Print

760 people live there. Puklice was first documented in 1318. the former synagogue is now a residence. cemetery photos [February 2009]

 

 

US Commission No. CZCE000167

Alternate German name: Puklitz. Puklice is located in Morava-Jihlava at 49°20 15°40, 6 km SE of Jihlava. Cemetery: 0.2 km SE. Present town population is under 1,000 with no Jews.

  • Town: Mayor Jaromir Novak, obecni urad, 488 31 Puklice; tel. 866/4525.
  • Regional: Engineer arch. Milena Nikiforova, Okresni Urad-Referat Kultury, Tolsteho ulica [Street], 586 01 Jihlava; tel. 0866/23191.
  • Interested: RnDr. Ortwin Tauber, Director, Muzeum Vysociny, Masarykovo namesti 57/58, 586 01 Jihlava; tel. 0166/20091.

Earliest known Jewish community was after 1454. 1930 Jewish population was 6. The Jewish cemetery established in 15th century ended in 1890 with last known Conservative Jewish burial in 1932. Jihlava, 6 km away, used this cemetery landmarked as Nr. 5155 S.M. The isolated suburban crown of a hill has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all via a broken masonry wall without gate. The pre- and post-WWII size of cemetery is 0.1493 ha.

20-100 stones, most in original location, date from 1696-20th century. The marble, granite and sandstone flat shaped stones and finely smoothed and inscribed stones have Hebrew and German inscriptions. Some tombstones have traces of painting on their surfaces. The cemetery contains no special memorial monuments or known mass graves. Within the limits of the site is a destroyed pre-burial house. Brno Jewish community owns the Jewish cemetery. Adjacent properties are agricultural. Rarely, private visitors stop. Vandalism occurred occasionally 1945-1991. Local non-Jewish residents did restoration in 1960s and 1970s. There is no maintenance. Serious threat: pollution. Moderate threat: uncontrolled access, vegetation and vandalism. Slight threat: weather erosion, existing and proposed nearby development.

Engineer arch Jaroslav Klenovsky, Zebetinska 13, 623 00 Brno; tel. 0 completed survey on 1 March 1992. Documentation: Hugo Gold: Die Juden und Judengemeinden Bohemens (1934); Jan Herman: Jewish Cemeteries of Bohemia and Moravia (1980). Other exisiting documentation was not used. The site was not visited.

Last Updated on Tuesday, 24 February 2009 16:00