|PRUDICE: Tabor, Moravia|
US Commission No. CZCE000392
Alternate German name: Pruditz. Prudice is located at 49°32 14°40, 11 km N of Tabor and 61 km NNE of Ceske Budejovice. Cemetery: 0.5 km SW. Present town population is under 1,000 with no Jews.
Earliest known Jewish community was 1723. 1930 Jewish population was 0. Prudice was the seat of a scanty congregation for surrounding villages in 18th century; prayer-room moved to Nemysl probably in 18th century with 18 people in Nemysl and 8 people in Prudice in 1880. Congregation disbanded probably in second half of 19th century. The probably landmarked Jewish cemetery originated before 1723 with the last known Conservative Jewish burial legible in 1939. Nemysl (2 km away) in 19th century and Strezimir (4 km away) since 19th century used site. The isolated rural (agricultural) crown of a hill has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public path now partly hidden in an agricultural field, access is open to all via a broken masonry wall in quite good condition and non-locking gate. The pre- and post-WWII size of cemetery is 0.2895 ha.
100-500 stones date from 1789-20th century. The granite, limestone and sandstone flat shaped stones, finely smoothed and inscribed stones, flat stones with carved relief decoration or multi-stone monuments have Hebrew, German and Czech inscriptions. Some have metal fences around graves. The cemetery contains no known mass graves but has special section for refugees. Within the limits of the site is a hardly damaged pre-burial house. Praha Jewish community owns cemetery. Adjacent properties are agricultural. Frequently, organized individual tours, private visitors and local residents stop. The cemetery lies close to a marked tourist route. Vandalism occurred occasionally 1945-1991 with no maintenance. Moderate threat: uncontrolled access, weather erosion, vegetation and vandalism. Slight threat: existing and proposed nearby development.
|Last Updated on Tuesday, 24 February 2009 15:33|