You are here: Home Eastern Europe Czech Republic PREROV: Olomouc, Bohemia
PREROV: Olomouc, Bohemia PDF Print E-mail

photo: old cemetery trees and new housing development [February 2009]

Also see Olomouc for early history. [February 2009]

This city in the Olomouc Region, situated on the Bečva river about 22 km southeast of Olomouc in the heart of Moravia. Přerov,  a statute city (2006), has population of about 47,373 in 2008. Settlement dates from primeval times including a renowned prehistoric site from the Older Stone Age on a mound called Hradisko at Přerov Předmostí. The oldest written reference to Přerov dates from 1133 when King Přemysl Otakar gave Přerov the privilege of a royal town in 1256. The mansion of Přerov built replacing the former castle was a residence of  the House of Pernstejn and Žerotín. Přerov contributed to Czech national development. Introducing the railroad in 1841. In June 1945, during the expulsion of Germans from Czechoslovakia, 71 men, 120 women and 74 children were killed in a pogrom against the German population. The helicopter air force is situated in Přerov. Currently, Přerov is a social, administrative and cultural centre of the District: the villages Předmostí, Lověšice, Kozlovice, Dluhonice, Újezdec, Čekyně, Henčlov, Lýsky, Popovice, Vinary, Žeravice and Penčice. [February 2009]

 

 

PREROV I:     US Commission No. CZCE000160

Alternate German name: Přerov [Cz], Prerau [Ger], Prera [Yid]. Prerov is located in Bohemia, Prerov at 49°27' N, 17°27' E , 40 miles ENE of Brno (Brünn), 13 miles SE of Olomouc (Olmütz). The old cemetery is located at 0.5 km S on Wurmova-Str. Present town population is 25,000-100,000 with fewer than 10 Jews.

  • Town: magistrate JUDr. Petr Dutko, Mestsky Urad, Bratrska 34, 750 00 Prerov; tel. 0641/3489.
  • Regional: mgr. Oleg Dejnega, Okresni urad -referat kultuury, Smetanova 7, 750 00 Prerov; tel. 0641/2141.
  • Interested: dir. Ladislav Poukal, Okresni Vlastivedne Muzeum, Horni namesti 22/23, 750 00 Prerov; tel. 0641/3286.

Earliest known Jewish community was 1339. 1921 Jewish population: 717 in 1900 and 267 in 1930. Jewish quarter was destroyed in 1642 with pogroms 1774 and 1850. Self-standing political community was 1880-1919. Rabbi Abraham Placzek, 1803-84; publicist Oskar Donath, 1882-1940; and musician Gideon Klein, 1914-45, are buried here. The unlandmarked cemetery originated in 18th century with last known Conservative Jewish burial about 1882. The flat urban location has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all via no wall, fence, or gate. The pre- and post-WWII size of cemetery is 0.1414 ha.

There are no stones, structures, memorial monuments or known mass graves. The municipality owns the property used for recreation (park, playground, and athletic field). Adjacent properties are commercial or industrial and residential. Rarely, private visitors stop. Vandalism occurred during World War II and 1945-1981 with no maintenance. Moderate threat: proposed nearby development.

Engineer arch. Jaroslav Klenovsky, Zebetinska 13, 623 00 Brno; tel. 0 completed survey on 1.3.1992. Documentation: Gold, Herman. Other exisiting documentation was not used. No site visits or interviews occurred.
PREROV II:     US Commission No. CZCE000161

The unlandmarked new cemetery, located at 1.5 km SE on Partyzanska-Str., originated in 1882 with last known Conservative Jewish burial in 1970s-1980s. The flat suburban site, separate but near cemeteries, has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all via a continuous masonry wall and locking gate. The approximate size of cemetery before WWII was 0.51465 ha s and is now 0.3732 ha.

100-500 stones date from 18th century (transferred)-20th century. The granite, limestone and sandstone flat shaped stones, finely smoothed and inscribed stones or obelisks have Hebrew, German and Czech inscriptions. Some have iron decorations or lettering and/or metal fences around graves. The cemetery has special section for refugees but no special memorial monuments, structure, or known mass graves. Olomouc Jewish community owns the property used as a Jewish cemetery. Adjacent properties are agricultural and residential. The boundaries are smaller than 1939 because of commercial or industrial development. Occasionally, private visitors stop. Vandalism occurred 1945-1981 with no maintenance. Local/municipal authorities, Jewish individuals and groups within country did restoration in 1990-91. Now there is regular unpaid caretaker. Slight threat: weather erosion, vegetation, vandalism, and existing nearby development, and proposed nearby development. See Prerov I for survey details.

Last Updated on Tuesday, 24 February 2009 02:29
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution