|PRELOUC: Pardubice, Bohemia|
Located on left bank of the Elbe River 15 km west of Pardubice. town website in Czech [February 2009]
US Commission No. CZCE000159
Earliest known Jewish community was after 1800. 1930 Jewish population was 29. Jews moved to big towns in second half of 19th century. The unlandmarked Jewish cemetery originated in 1887 with last known Conservative or Progressive/Reform Jewish burial before 1943. The flat urban location, separate but near cemeteries, has no sign but has Jewish symbols on gate or wall. Reached by crossing municipal cemetery, access is open to all via a continuous masonry wall and non-locking gate. The pre- and post-WWII size of cemetery is 1268 sq m ha.
20-100 stones, about half in original location and over 75% toppled or broken, date from end of 19th-20th century. The granite and sandstone finely smoothed and inscribed stones or multi-stone monuments have Hebrew, German and Czech inscriptions. The cemetery contains unmarked mass graves but no special sections. Within the limits of the site is a pre-burial house. The municipality owns Jewish cemetery property. Adjacent properties are residential and cemetery. Rarely, private visitors stop. Vandalism occurred occasionally 1945-1991 with no maintenance. Serious threat: vandalism. Moderate threat: uncontrolled access, pollution and vegetation. Slight threat: weather erosion.
Vlastmila Hamackova, Zabelska 37, Engineer Mojmir Maly, Ve Stresovickach 58, 169 00 Praha 6; tel. 35-57-69; and Jiri Fiedler, z"l, Brdickova 1916, 155 00, Praha 5, tel/02/55-33-40 completed survey on 20 May 1992. Documentation: short history of Jewish congregation (1892); and Josef Ladr: Dejiny Mesta Prelouce nad Labem (1926). No site visits or interviews occurred.
|Last Updated on Tuesday, 24 February 2009 02:19|