|PREHOROV: Tabor, Bohemia|
US Commission No. CZCE00046
Earliest known Jewish community was first quarter of 18th century. 1930 Jewish population was 6 in Prehorov and 78 in Sobeslav; 16 people were subject to racial laws in Prehorov in 1941. Peak Jewish population was 1849 (over 100 people). Jews later moved to Sobeslav and to other big towns; seat of congregation probably moved to Sobeslav in late 19th century. The unlandmarked Jewish cemetery originated between 1830-1850 with last known Conservative or Progressive/Reform Jewish burial before 1943. Sobeslav, 3 km away, used site. The wooded flat isolated site has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all via a broken masonry wall and non-locking gate. The pre- and post-WWII size of cemetery is 0.0863 ha.
20-100 stones, most in original location, date from before mid-19th-20th century. The granite, limestone and sandstone flat shaped stones, finely smoothed and inscribed stones or multi-stone monuments have Hebrew, German and Czech inscriptions. Some have metal fences around graves. The cemetery contains a pre-burial house ruin and no known mass graves. Praha Jewish community owns the cemetery. Adjacent properties are forest. Occasionally, private visitors stop. Vandalism occurred occasionally 1981-91 but was devastated first in 1962. Local/municipal authorities did restoration in 1962-63 with vandalism afterward. There is no maintenance. Serious threat: vandalism. Moderate threat: vegetation and proposed nearby development. Slight threat: weather erosion.
Jiri Fiedler, Brdickova 1916, 155 00 Praha 5; tel. 02/55-33-40 completed survey on 1 August 1992. Documentation: census 1723, 1849, 1930; cadastre of 1829, 1854; notes of survey made by Statni Zidovske Muzeum Praha (1947); Jan Herman: Jewish Cemeteries... (1980); Gustav A.Schimmer: Statistik des Judenthums...(1872); and letter of K. Volavkova. The site was not visited. Old inhabitants of the village Prehorov were interviewed (1987, 1991).
|Last Updated on Tuesday, 24 February 2009 02:10|