|PRAHA-UHRINEVES: Praha, Bohemia|
US Commission No. CZCE000194
Alternate name: Aurinowes, Aurschinewes in German. Cemetery is located in Bohemia-Greater Prague at 50º02' 14º36', 14 km SE of center of Prague and 1 km N, between Vachkova Str. and V bytovkách Str. The cemetery has been used since the beginning of 18th century and until WWII.
Present town population is 5,000-25,000 with probably than 10 Jews [?Uhrineves?]. Earliest known Jewish community was early 18th century. 1930 Jewish population was 55. [?Uhrineves?]. Jews moved to big towns in second half of 19th century. The landmarked Jewish cemetery originated in early 18th century with last known Conservative or Progressive/Reform Jewish burial probably about 1946. Ricany, 6 km away, used site.Between fields and woods, the isolated suburban flat site has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all via a broken masonry wall and locking gate. The pre- and post-WWII size of cemetery is 0.3284 ha.
100-500 stones, most in original location, date from 1719-20th century. The marble, granite, limestone and iron flat shaped stones, finely smoothed and inscribed stones, flat stones with carved relief decoration or multi-stone monuments have Hebrew, German and Czech inscriptions. Some tombstones have traces of painting on their surfaces and/or metal fences around graves. The cemetery has special memorial monuments to Holocaust victims but tablet with inscription was stolen. The pre-burial house has original paintings. Praha Jewish community owns Jewish cemetery. Properties adjacent are recreational and commercial or industrial. Occasionally, private visitors and local residents stop. Vandalism occurred occasionally 1945-1991 with many stones removed in 1984. Jewish congregation did restoration about 1970. There is no maintenance. Very serious threat: vandalism. Moderate threat: vegetation. Slight threat: weather erosion, pollution and existing nearby development.
Jiri Fiedler, Brdickova 1916, 155 00 Praha 5; tel. 02/553340 completed survey on 29 May 1992. No documentation was used. No site visits or interviews occurred.
|Last Updated on Tuesday, 24 February 2009 12:20|