|PRAHA-LIBEN: Praha, Bohemia|
cemetery photo [February 2009]
Old Cemetery US Commission No. CZCE000385A
Alternate name: Lieben in German, now Prague in English. The old cemetery is located 3.4 km NE of center of Prague, close to eastern end of "Libensky Most" [bridge] at 50º07' 14º30'. The cemetery dates from the middle of 16th century and was more or less demolished around 1964.
Earliest known Jewish community was 16th century. 1930 Jewish population was 801 people in Liben. First privileges of Jewish community were granted in 1656. Population was about 800, or approximately 30% of total population, in mid-19th century but decreased in second half of 19th century as population moved to Prague or Vienna. Town of Liben was incorporated into Greater Prague in 1901; increase of both total and Jewish population in Liben in 20th century. Writer Voytech Rakous 1862-1935 lived here in this native town of Naftali Herz Homberg, pioneer of Haskalah 1749-1841; conductor Rudolf Pekarek 1900-1974; and writer Arnost Lustig, resident in Washington, D.C. b. 1926.The Jewish cemetery originated probably in 16th century. Buried in the cemetery are regional rabbi Jakov Haller 1808-1890 and founders of industry in Liben and Karlin with last known Jewish burial about 1892. Karlin (German: Karolinenthal) 2 km used this cemetery landmarked in 1962. The isolated urban flat land on hillside has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all via a broken masonry wall without gate. The pre- and post-WWII size of cemetery is 0.4136 ha.
17th to 19th century stones were buried. The marble, granite, limestone and sandstone flat shaped stones, finely smoothed and inscribed stones, flat stones with carved relief decoration, multi-stone monuments or obelisks with traces of painting on their surfaces and portraits on stones have Hebrew, German and Czech inscriptions. The cemetery contains no known mass graves or structures. The municipality owns the property used for waste dumping. Adjacent properties are commercial or industrial and municipal transport. Rarely, private visitors and local residents stop. Vandalism occurred prior to World War II: northern part liquidated for building of new bridge in 1925-1928, never in 1981-91 and 1945-1981, and covered by earth about 1965. There is no maintenance.
Jiri Fiedler, z"l, Brdickova 1916, 155 00 Praha 5; tel. 02/553340 completed survey on 31 Aug 1992. Documentation: census 1849, 1930; cadastre and maps of 1828, 1841, 1876, 1900, 1929; Josef Polak: Zide v Libni. in Kalendar cesko-zidovsky, 1912-1913; and Bedrich Nosek: Die juedische Kultusgemeinde in Liben in Judaica; Bohemiae, year 16. No site visits or interviews occurred.
PRAHA-LIBEN -New Cemetery: US Commission No. CZCE000386
The new cemetery is located 5.5 km NE of center of Prague, in "Na malém klínu" Street. The cemetery dates from 1892 and was used until 1975. See Praha Liben (old cemetery) for information about the town. The probably unlandmarked flat urban location has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open with permission via continuous masonry wall and locking gate. The approximate size of cemetery before WWII was 0.7956 and is now approximately 0.2 ha.
100-500 stones, all in original locations, date from 1892-20th century. The marble, granite, limestone, sandstone and slate flat shaped stones, finely smoothed and inscribed stones, sculpted monuments or multi-stone monuments have Hebrew, German and Czech inscriptions. Some have metal fences around graves. The cemetery has no special sections or known mass graves. Within site is a pre-burial house (sold). Buried in the cemetery is V. Rakous. Praha Jewish community owns the site used only for a Jewish cemetery. Properties adjacent are recreational and residential. The boundaries are smaller than 1939 because of a sports ground. Rarely, private visitors stop. Vandalism occurred occasionally 1945-1991. Jewish groups within country did restoration before 1985. There is no maintenance. Moderate threat: vegetation. Slight threats: uncontrolled access, weather erosion and vandalism.
Vlastmila Hamackova, Zabelska 37, Martina Chmelikova, Nad Ondrejovem 16, 140 00 Praha 4; tel. 02/69-20-350 and Jiri Fiedler, z"l, Brdickova 1916, 155 00 Praha 5; tel. 02/553340 completed survey on 31 Aug 92. Documentation: census 1849, 1930; notes of Statni Zidovske Muzeum Praha; Josef Polak: "Zide v Libni" in Kalendar cesko-zidovsky, 1912-1913; Bedrich Nosek: Die juedische Kultusgemeinde in Liben in Judaica Bohemiae, year 16. Other documentation was inaccessible. No site visits or interviews occurred.
|Last Updated on Sunday, 30 August 2009 11:57|