You are here: Home Eastern Europe Czech Republic PRACHATICE: Bohemia
PRACHATICE: Bohemia PDF Print E-mail

 

From the typical flat South Bohemian landscape to the heights of the Sumava Mountains with the NE part of  Prachatice district a flat landscape, while the west at  Vimperk with its castle and the area around Volary, a small town with well-preserved timbered houses in the Alpine style, is rather mountainous. The historical Renaissance city center has been protected since 1981with a number of houses, well-preserved fortifications, Pisecka gate, and Gothic St. Jacobs Church. About 5 km from Prachatice is Libin Mountain (1,096 m above sea level) with a look-out tower and the Renaissance chateau of Kratochvile with a permanent exhibition of cartoon films. Historic buildings in the peasant Baroque style, typical for most of South Bohemia, can be seen around Netolice and Lhenice. Sumava, a natural divide separating Bohemia from Austria and Germany, dominates the area. IMore than half of the district is covered by beautiful forests like primeval Boubinsky Prales Forest protected as a reserve since 1858. At the foot of Cerna Hora (Black Mountain) is the river, Vltava. Churanov has a ski facility. town website.The town is situated in the Šumavské Podhůří (Šumava Foothills) below Libín mountain on the Živný Potok stream. It used to be a settlement on the trade route called Zlatá Stezka (Golden Path), which was used for the transportation of salt to Bohemia. town Staré Prachatice (Old Prachatice). The new settlement was founded in the 14th century around the square, together with the church, which is situated in the corner of the square. It is first mentioned in 1323 as a town with the license to crenellate. The itown obtained a lot of rights and privileges due to its advantageous position: e.g. the right to import soles, warehousing and the sale of salt from Passau (Austria). In 1420 Hussites burnt down the town. In 1436 Prachatice became a royal town. In the 16th century , the town underwent a large Renaissance reconstruction, its present appearance. During the Thirty Years' War, Prachatice was captured and all rights and privileges were seized. The town declined until new development began in the 20th century. The Late-Gothic and Renaissance historical town center was preserved because of a long stagnation for hundreds of years. Remains of the town walls from the 14th century, enlarged in the 16th century (the second line of walls and artillery bastions added), and the Helvít bastion can be seen in the town. The entrance  is through the huge Gothic-Renaissance Dolní Brána (Lower Gate),  the only preserved gate from three original town gates. The Žižkova Skála (Žižka's Rock) lies not far from the Dolní Brána gate and offers a nice view of the town.  St. James' Church in the corner of the square was founded together with the town. The 1903 Pseudo-Renaissance town hall dominates the square with a Baroque fountain. The valuable Renaissance old town hall, built between 1570 - 1571, is in the SW corner of the square. A lot of Late-Gothic (the second half of the 15th century) and Renaissance (the 16th century) houses can be seen around the square, most facades with graffiti. The town museum is located in the Dům Žďárských (Žďárský Family's House) on the square. The interesting marble sculpture situated not far from the square is the biggest sundial in the Czech Republic. The Spa of St. Margaret is found on the southern outskirts of the town.  The 33 km long trail called Zlatá Stezka (Golden Path) begins in Prachatice and runs along the way of the former trade route." [February 2009]

Boubín mountain

Libín mountain

ruins of the Helfenburk castle

ruins of the Hus castle

village Záblatí

small town Vlachovo Březí

small town Bavorov

town Husinec

 

Cemetery?

Last Updated on Monday, 23 February 2009 20:53
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution