|POSTRIZIN: Praha-vychod, Bohemia|
Photo of cemetery with repaired and crumbling wall. Postřižinské a brand of beer produced by the Nymburk Brewery. [February 2009]
POSTRIZIN: US Commission No. CZCE000158
Earliest known Jewish community was about 1850. 1930 Jewish population was 2. Jews moved to big towns in second half of 19th century. The landmarked Jewish cemetery originated about 1805 with last known Conservative or Progressive/Reform Jewish burial probably in beginning of WWII. Kralupy nad Vltavou (from about 1874); Premysleni; Vojkovice (German: Wojkowitz); Klecany (German: Gross-Kletzan), 5 to 8 km away, used site. The isolated wooded flat land on a hillside has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all via a broken masonry wall without gate. The pre- and post-WWII size of cemetery is 1968 sq. m.
100-500 stones date from 1831-20th century. The marble, granite, limestone and sandstone flat shaped stones, finely smoothed and inscribed stones, flat stones with carved relief decoration or multi-stone monuments have Hebrew, German and Czech inscriptions. The cemetery contains no known mass graves or special sections but has the foundation of pre-burial house. Prague Jewish community owns the Jewish cemetery. Adjacent properties are forest and highway. Occasionally, private visitors and local residents stop. Vandalism occurred occasionally 1945-1991. Jewish groups within the country did the restoration in 1992. Now, there is occasional clearing or cleaning by individuals or authorities and Jewish congregation. Very serious threat: uncontrolled access and vandalism. Moderate threat: proposed nearby development. Slight threat: weather erosion, pollution and vegetation.
|Last Updated on Monday, 23 February 2009 19:14|