PODBORANY: Louny, Bohemia Print

 

US Commission No. CZCE000379

[Also used the cemetery at Letov] Alternate name: Podersam in German. Podborany is located in Bohemia, Louny at 50º14 13º25, 14 km SW of Zatec and 36 km E of Karlovy Vary. Cemetery: 2 km SE, close to road leading to Ocihov. Present town population is 5,000-25,000 with probably no Jews.

  • Town: Mestsky Urad, 441 01 Podborany, tel.: 0395421; Mayor: Tel. 0395/430.
  • Regional: Okresni Urad, Referat Kultury, (Director: Mr. Parma), Palackeno 2380, 440 01 Louny; tel. 0395/2421 and, ZNO (Mr. Chaim Klein), Lipova 25, 415 01 Teplice; tel. 0417/26580.
  • Interested: Regionalni Muzeum, (Dr. Holednak or Dr. Zinnnerova), Husova 678, 438 01 Zatec; tel. 0397/2840; and Okresni Muzeum Louny, Pivovarska 28, 440 01 Louny, tel.: 0397/2456; and Statni Zidovske Muzeum, Jachymova 3, 110 01 Praha 1; tel. 02 231-06-34.

Earliest known Jewish community was 1870. 1930 Jewish population was 108. Settling of Jews was permitted since mid-19th century with only one Jew in 1860. Jews moved from surrounding countryside to big towns after both opening of railroad line and establishment of district of Podborany after 1860. Seat of Jewish congregation moved from neighboring village of Letov to Podborany in 1870. Peak Jewish population was in 1890 (240 people). This was native town of Max Glaser, pen name Litum lei (b.1875), German writing poet and prosaist. The unlandmarked Jewish cemetery originated in 1886 or 1889 with last known Conservative or Progressive/Reform Jewish burial before 1943. The flat isolated rural (agricultural) crown of a hill has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road from a road, access is open to all via a broken masonry wall and a slightly damaged non-locking gate. The pre- and post-WWII size of cemetery is about 0.17 ha.

1-20 stones date from last quarter of 19th-20th century. The granite and sandstone tombstones finely smoothed and inscribed stones or multi-stone monuments have Hebrew and German inscriptions. The cemetery contains no known mass graves. Within the limits of the site is a pre-burial house wall remnant. Teplice Jewish community owns the site used only as a Jewish cemetery. Adjacent properties are agricultural. Occasionally, private visitors and local residents stop. Vandalism occurred prior to World War II by Nazis, during World War II and 1945-1981 with no maintenance now. Serious threat: vandalism. Moderate threat: weather erosion and pollution. Slight threat: existing nearby development.
Ladislav Mertl, Mgr. of Geography, Kubanske namesti 132217, 100 00 Praha 10, tel.: 02/743213; and Jiri Fiedler, z"l, Brdickova 1916 155 00 Praha 5; tel. 02/55-33-40 completed survey on 05-16-92. Documentation: Wenzel Rott: Der politische Bezirk Podersam (1902); Die Juden und Judengemeinden Bohemens (1934); Jahrbuch fur die israelische Cultusgemeinden Bohemens (1894-95); and census 1860, 1890, 1930, 1991. Other documentation was inaccessible. No site visits or interviews occurred.

Last Updated on Monday, 23 February 2009 16:10