|PODBORANSKY ROHOZEC: Louny, Bohemia|
US Commission No. CZCE000257 and Number CZCE000150
Earliest known Jewish community was probably mid-18th century. 1930 Jewish population was 13. In 1864, the community numbered 290 people (50% of total population). Jews moved to big towns in second half of 19th century. In 1935, major Jewish creditor murdered here was the last Conservative or Progressive/Reform funeral at this landmarked cemetery established in 1860. This was the birthplace of traveller Eduard Glaser (1855-1908). Between fields and woods, the isolated hillside by water has no sign or marker. Reached by crossing private property, access is pen to all with a slightly damanged continuous masonry wall and non-locking gate. The pre- and post-WWII size of cemetery is about 1493 sq. m.
20-100 stones date from second half of 19th-20th century. The granite and sandstone flat shaped stones, finely smoothed and inscribed stones, flat stones with carved relief decoration, double tombstones or multi-stone monuments have Hebrew and German inscriptions. Some tombstones have portraits on stones. The cemetery contains no known mass graves. Within the limits of the site is a pre-burial house. Usti nad Labem Jewish community owns the Jewish cemetery. Adjacent properties are agricultural. Rarely, private visitors and local residents stop. Vandalism occurred during World War II, occasionally 1945-1991. Work was done by Israeli descendants of Zentner family who clean occasionally around their family grave and elsewhere too. Maintenace was very seldom. Moderate threat: weather erosion and vegetation. Slight threat: uncontrolled access, pollution, vandalism and existing nearby development.
Ladislav Mertl, mgr of geography, Kubanske namesti 1322/17, 100 00 Praha 10; tel. 02/743213 and Jiri Fiedler, z"l Brdickova 1916, 155 00 Praha 5; tel. 02/55-33-40 completed survey on 05-16-1992. Documentation: J. Herman: Jewish Cemeteries in Bohemia and Moravia, Prague 1980; Philo lexicon 1936; Gold: Juden...Bohemens (1934); W. Rott: Der politische Bezirsk Podersam 1902; cadastre changes 1860; and census 1930, 1991. Mr. & Mrs. Boehm, on 05-16-92 in Podbohansky Rohozec were interviewed.
|Last Updated on Sunday, 15 August 2010 11:38|