photos. The village was established in the 12th century during the settlement of Kladruby Cloister. The Jewish community was situated in the middle of the village next to the pond and opposite the castle. Some of the original houses remain either damaged or rebuildt. The synagogue, rebuildt in 1945, was used by the firemen but is no longer in use.The original windows under the falling facade can be seen.
The Jewish cemetery was built on the edge of the village on the hill above the pond with the original entrance from the other side. Surrounded by nature, the cemetery survived because of its hidden location. Close examination shows several tombstones from various periods and remains of the surrounding wall and the foundation of the ceremonial hall. cemetery photo. contact information. photos [February 2009]
US Commission No. CZCE000019
Alternate German name: Piwana. Pnobany is located in Bohemia, Plzen-North, 18 km WNW of Plzen. Cemetery: 500 m SSE. Present town population is under 1,000 with no Jews.
Earliest known Jewish community was probably 17th century. 1930 Jewish population was 0. Jews moved to big towns in 19th century. Jewish congregation disbanded in 1918. The Jewish cemetery allegedly originated in second half of 16th century but recorded at beginning of 18th century with last known Jewish burial probably about 1900. Butov (Ger. Wuttau) in 17th-18th century (5 km away) and Ulice (Ger. Ullitz) in 19th century (3km away) used this landmarked cemetery. The isolated wooded flat site at the crown of a hill has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all via a broken masonry wall without gate. The pre- and post-WWII size of cemetery is 2219 sq. m. 20-100 stones date from 1726 to 19th century. The granite and sandstone flat shaped stones or flat stones with carved relief decoration have Hebrew and German inscriptions. The cemetery contains no known mass graves or structures. Plzen Jewish community owns Jewish cemetery. Adjacent properties are forest. Rarely, private visitors and local residents stop. Vandalism occurred probably prior to World War II, during World War II and 1945-1981 with no maintenance. Moderate threat: uncontrolled access and vandalism. Slight threat: weather erosion.
- Town: Obecny urad, Pnovany, 330 34 Ulice.
- Regional: Okresni urad Plzen-sever, Moskevska /street/ 39, 301 00 Plzen.
- Interested: Okresny Muzeum, Mariansky Tynec 1, 331 41 Kralovice.
Jiri Fiedler completed survey 20 Dec1991. Documentation: Gold: Die Juden and Judengemeinden Bohemens 1934 1934; Jan Herman: "Jewish Cemeteries of Bohemia and Moravia" (1980); notes of Statni Zidovske Muzeum (about 1960). No site visits or interviews occurred.
Update: http://www.czech-tour.cz/english/mesta/11_pnovany/pnovany.htm is a Jewish heritage in Pnivany/Piwana (Pilsen district) link with photos. [June 2003]
Last Updated on Thursday, 26 February 2009 12:19