You are here: Home Eastern Europe Czech Republic PETROVICE: Bohemia
PETROVICE: Bohemia PDF Print E-mail

 

(Petrowitz in German) used Kovarov, old cemetery at Susice and Rakovnik cemeteries. A memorial plaque to thirty Jews who perished in concentration camps during the Holocaust was unveiled on 25 April 2000 in the town of Petrovice. [February 2009]

map and photos: "The small town Petrovice is situated about 12 km north of the town Milevsko on the dividing line between South Bohemia and Central Bohemia. It lies in the countryside full of stones along the small river called Brzina. The... town dates back to the 12th century. It was a seat of members of the Czech lower nobility. In the 17th century it was a seat of Jesuits, who built the mansion here. The Church of Sts. Peter and Paul, which stands in the square, was built in the Gothic period, but in the 18th century was rebuilt in the Baroque style. In 1934 the church burnt down and the valuable main altar was destroyed.The collector of folk proverbs František Doucha worked as a chaplain in Petrovice." [February 2009]

Last Updated on Sunday, 22 February 2009 23:57
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution