|PAVLOV: Pehlrimov, Bohemia|
US Commission No. CZCE00375
Earliest known Jewish community was first half of 19th century. 1930 Jewish population was 0. Scanty congregation existed when Jewish settlement in neighbouring Pelhrimov was prohibited. Congregation disbanded in second half of 19th century. The landmarked (No. 3224) cemetery originated before 1806 with last known Conservative Jewish burial perhaps 1914. The isolated rural (agricultural) hillside has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all via a broken masonry wall without gate. The pre- and post-WWII size of cemetery is 0.0378 ha.
20-100 stones, most in original location, date from 19th century. The granite flat shaped stones and finely smoothed and inscribed stones have Hebrew and German inscriptions. The cemetery contains no known mass graves, sections, or structures. Praha Jewish community owns cemetery. Adjacent properties are agricultural. Occasionally, private visitors and local residents stop. Vandalism occurred 1945-1981. Jewish groups within the country did restoration between both World Wars but no maintenance now. Serious threat: vandalism. Moderate threat: pollution and vegetation.
|Last Updated on Sunday, 22 February 2009 23:53|