PACOV: Pelhrimov, Bohemia Print

The cemetery contains several layers of graves. Source [February 2009]

cemetery photos [February 2009]

A town in the Vysočina Region with a population of approximately 5,000 directly on the 15th meridian. A château, formerly a castle, was built in the 12th century and rebuilt as a château in 16th century) then into a monastery. During theAustro-Hungarian Empire, Pacov was known as Patzau in German. During the reign of Joseph II the monastery ended and became a château again. In 19th century, part of the château was renovated into flats for teachers. The Czech poet Antonín Sova, who has now a museum in Pacov, was born there in 1864. Under communism, the château was used as barracks and was badly damaged, now being repaired. In Pacov there is a 1719 church. Since 1906, the International Motorcycle Federation (FIM) is here. Town website. [February 2009]

 

map and photos: "The town Pacov is situated about 25 km NE of the town Tábor, first mentioned as the castle with the small settlement, which was promoted to the town in the second half of the 16th century. In 1727, a big fire completely destroyed the town and nearly the whole town was built again in the Baroque style. Pacov was a poor town and its citizens mostly worked in a drapery and in crafts. Industry has developed here since the 20th century. The Baroque chateau, which stands near the square, was rebuilt from the original castle after 1584. In the 1660's, it was rebuilt into the Baroque monastery of the order of White Friars, who enlarged it in 1719. In 1787 the monastery was closed and it was used as chateau again. The St. Wenceslas' Church was added to the monastery between 1727 - 1732. The Baroque church has an oval layout and its frontage leads to the square. The oval chapels, rectangular presbytery and the thin tower with the dome adjoin the nave. The neighbouring parochial Church of St. Michael the Archangel is situated in the upper part of the square. It was founded between the 1350's - 1380's in the Gothic style. Pacov is a hometown of the poet Antonín Sova.The FIM association was founded in Pacov in 1904 and the first circuit for motorbikes in Bohemia was built in the near village Kámen in 1905." [February 2009] NEARBY:

Strážiště hill

Kámen castle

Želiv monastery

memorial in Leskovice

village Obrataň

small town Červená Řečice

 

US Commission No. CZCE000256
Alternate name: Patzau in German. Pacov is located in Bohemia, Pelhrimov at 49°28′N 15°′E , 24 km ENE of Tabor. Cemetery: 700 m NE, near the road leading to Brezina. Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.

  • Town: Mestasky urad, 395 01 Pacov.
  • Regional: Okresni Urad, Referat Kultury, 393 01 Pelhrimov; and Zidovska Nabozenska Obec v Praze (Mrs. Jana Wolfova), Maislova 18 110 01 Praha 1; tel. 02231-69-25.
  • Interested: Muzeum A. Sovy, Hronova 273, 395 01 Pacov; tel. (0365) 2193 and Statni Zidovske Muzeum Jachymova 3, 110 01 Praha 1; tel. (02) 231-06-34; 231-07-85, and Okresni Muzeum, Mirove namesti 12 393 01 Pelhrimov; tel. (0366) 2535, and Ms. Anezka Chaloupkova (former teacher, local historian), 395 01 Pacov 690.

Earliest known Jewish community was 17th century. 1930 Jewish population was 109. Jews moved to big towns in the second half of the 19th century. The landmarked Jewish cemetery originated in 1680 with last known Conservative or Progressive/Reform Jewish burial in 1969. The isolated suburban hillside has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all via a broken masonry wall and non-locking gate. The pre- and post-WWII size of cemetery is 0.1635 ha.

100-500 stones, most in original location, date from 1796-20th century. The granite flat shaped stones, finely smoothed and inscribed stones, flat stones with carved relief decoration or multi-stone monuments have Hebrew, German and Czech inscriptions. Some have metal fences around graves. The cemetery contains special memorial monuments to Holocaust victims but no known mass graves or special sections. Within the limits of the site is a [ruined, see photos] pre-burial house with a chimney and bier [?}. Praha Jewish community owns cemetery. Adjacent properties are agricultural and residential. Occasionally, private visitors and local residents stop. Vandalism occurred occasionally 1945-1991. Individuals or groups of non-Jewish origin and Jewish groups within country did restoration about 1983 with vandalism afterward. There is no maintenance. Very serious threat: vandalism. Moderate threats: weather erosion and vegetation.

Jiri Fiedler, z"l, Brdickova 1916, 155 00 Praha 5; tel. 0255-33-40 completed survey on 9 June 1992. Documentation: H.Gold: Die Juden.Bohemens… (1934); census of 1723 and 1930; notes of Statni Zidovske Muzeum Praha; letter from historian A Chaloupkova (1984); notes of Jaroslav Lustig (1985), the last Jewish inhabitant of Pacov and the last custodian of Jewish cemetery (deceased). No site visits or interviews occurred.

Last Updated on Sunday, 22 February 2009 23:32