You are here: Home Eastern Europe Czech Republic UHERSKY OSTROH: Uherske Hradiste, Moravia
UHERSKY OSTROH: Uherske Hradiste, Moravia PDF Print E-mail

Uherský Ostroh is a town in the Uherské Hradiště District, Zlín Region, located about 11 km SW of Uherské Hradiště. The earliest known Jewish community dates from 1592. In 1635, there were 22 Jewish houses and in 1671 sixteen Jewish houses with more than thirty Jewish families: Isak Schulklopper, Salamon Lateiner, Israel Isak, Mandl, Salamon Chaska, Benesch, Friedrich Kojeteiner, Schmidl, Jekl Fleischhacker, Salamon Mojses, Rabiner, Mojses Stanjetz, Jakob Gutman, Israel Strimpfstricker, and Loebl Isak. By 1848,  89 Jewish families lived in the community numbering 478 members. That dropped to 220 after WWI.  A Jewish quarter (ghetto) was established in 1727 and  self-standing community from 1890-1920.  The old Jewish cemetery was established in 17th century, with the last known Jewish burial in 1862.

KehilaLink [Oct 2013]

 

OSTROH (I):     US Commission No. CZCE000145

Alternate names: Uherský Ostroh [Cz], Ungarisch-Ostra [Ger], Shtaynitz [Yid], Ostroh, Ungarisch Ostrau, Ungarisch-Ostroh. Ostroh is located in Morava-Uherske Hradiste at 48°59' N, 17°23' E ,in SE Czech Republic, 37 miles ESE of Brno (Brünn). The old cemetery is located at 1.5 km E on Sokolska-Str. Present town population is 5,000-25,000 with than 10 Jews.

  • Town: Magistrate Jiri Chmelar, Mestsky Urad Hradistska 305, 687 24 uhersky Ostroh; tel. 0632/91116.
  • Regional: PhDr. Jana Spathova, Okresni Urad, Referat Kultury, 686 01 Uherske Hradiste; tel. 0632/432.
  • Interested: Slovacke Muzeum, dir. PhDr. Ivo Frolec, Smetanovy sady, 686 01 Uherske Hradiste; tel. 0632/2262. Bohumil Gelbkopf, Rybare 198, 687 24 Uhersky Ostroh; tel. 0.

Earliest known Jewish community was 1592. Jewish population: 478 (in 1848), 220 (in 1921). 1930 Jewish population was 70 + 53 Jews[?]. Jewish quarter is dated 1727 with selfstanding political community extant from 1890-1920. Ezer Weiszmann, President of Israel State, lived here. The unlandmarked Jewish cemetery originated in 17th century with last known Conservative Jewish burial in 1862. No other towns or villages used site. The flat urban location, separate but near cemeteries, has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all via no wall, fence, or gate. The pre- and post-WWII size of cemetery is 0.1277 ha.

There are no stones, known mass graves, or structures. The municipality owns property used for park, playground, and athletic field. Adjacent properties are commercial or industrial. Rarely, private visitors stop. Vandalism occurred during World War II and 1945-1981. Now, authorities occasionally clean or clear. Slight threat: pollution and proposed nearby development.

Engineer-Architect Jaroslav Klenovsky, Zebetinska 13, 623 00 Brno; tel. 0 completed survey on 1.3.1992. Documentation: Gold, Herman. Other exisiting documentation was not used. No site visits or interviews occurred.


OSTROH (II):     US Commission No. CZCE000146

The new cemetery is located 1.5 km E on Veselska-Str. The unlandmarked Jewish cemetery originated in 1862 with last known Conservative Jewish burial in 1950s or 1960s. No other towns or villages used site. The flat urban location, separate but near cemeteries, has no sign or marker. Reached by crossing public property town cemetery, access is open to all via a continuous masonry wall and non-locking gate. The approximate size of cemetery before WWII was about 0.47 ha s and is now 0.2777 ha.

100-500 stones date from 1863 (transferred in) 20th century. The marble, granite and sandstone flat shaped stones, finely smoothed and inscribed stones, flat stones with carved relief decoration or obelisks have Hebrew, German and Czech inscriptions. Some tombstones have bronze decorations or lettering and/or metal fences around graves. The cemetery contains special memorial monuments to Holocaust victims but no known mass graves, special sections, or structures. Brno Jewish community owns the property used for Jewish cemetery and town cemetery. Adjacent properties are cemetery. The boundaries are smaller than 1939 because of town cemetery. Occasionally, private visitors stop. Vandalism occurred occasionally, 1981-91. Local/municipal authorities and Jewish groups within country did restoration in 1991. Now, authorities occasionally clean or clear. Moderate threat: pollution, vegetation and vandalism. Slight threat: uncontrolled access, weather erosion, existing and proposed nearby development. See Ostroh (I) for survey information.

Last Updated on Friday, 11 October 2013 02:22
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution