|OSEK: Rokycany, Boehmia|
Osek, (German: Wosek) is a village in the Rokycany District of the Plzeň Region of Western Bohemia situated 3 km north of the town of Rokycany. The village stretches in north-south direction along the road from Rokycany to Břasy. Other minor roads divert from it in the territory of Osek , namely a road to Litohlavy, a road to Volduchy and a road to Bušovice. The terrain of Osek and its environs is rather flat forming a forestless plateau bordered by massif Radeč (718 m.) in the northeast and the valley of the Klabava river in the south with the regional center of Rokycany. ... In the southern section of Osek a hill called Kamýk (420 m.) rises. On the top of Kamýk, the ruins are standing of 18th century manor house. Ca. 2 km northwest of Osek a village of Vitinka is located. This formerly independent community has been merged with Osek. Vitinka consists of several clusters of separate settlements scattered across the area nortwest of Osek. There are Vitinka proper, Hudlice, Nový Dvůr and Kolna settlements. Osek was mentioned first in 1240 in a document issued by the king Václav I. ... Village was dominated by small gothic castle (later in 16th century rebuilt). .... Beside farming village specialized in iron ore mining and iron production. This local industry utilized energy from the system of artificial lakes in Osek's proximity and charcoal from nearby forests. Iron ore mining continued until 1850. In 19th a 20th centuries Osek remained mostly agricultural community. The village of Vitinka was founded around the year of 1697. It used to be traditionally a part of Osek. In 1924 an independent community of Vitinka was created, however in 1980 Vitinka merged with Osek again.Wikipedia [February 2009]
US Commission No. CZCE000284
Dr. Peter Braun, Komenskeho 43, 323 13 Plzen; tel. 019/52-15-58 and Rudolf Loewy, Jesenicka 33, 323 23 Plzen; tel. 019/52-06-84 and Jiri Fiedler, Brdickova 1916, 155 00 Praha 5; tel. 02/55-33-40 on 3 November 1992. Documentation: Census 1830, 1850,1921,1930; Die Juden und Judengemeinden Bohmenes. (1934); Jan Herman: Jewish Cemeteries. (1980); notes of research made by Statni Zidovske Muzeum praha (1955). The site was not visited. F. Bohuslav and Mayor J Benetka both were interviewed in 1992.
|Last Updated on Sunday, 22 February 2009 05:45|