You are here: Home Eastern Europe Czech Republic NOVE STRASECI: Rakovnik, Bohemia
NOVE STRASECI: Rakovnik, Bohemia PDF Print E-mail

"The town of Nové Strašecí lies in the Rakovník district about 40 km west of Prague. The name probably derived from the owner, the Strach family, village - Strašecie (which translated means fear). The history of Strašecí is linked with the Křivoklát manor. First mentioned in writings dating back to 1334, when the village of Strašecí was pawned to Mr. Menhart from Olbramovice. In 1340 Strašecí was recorded as a little town adjacent to the Křivoklát castle. During the Hussite movements, Strašecí followed the Hussites. During the rule of Jiří from Poděbrady, the town was plundered by the royal army in revenge for supporting Jindřich from Kolovraty, the king´s opponent. The Imperial Charter of King Vladislav Jagellonský from 1480 says that the town should continue to be owned by the Bohemian king. The town was awarded by a seal with an emblem (the king´s bust, with a jibbing bohemian lion and a letter W on the left side).  The little town was renewed as Nové Strašecí after a fire in 1554. The Křivoklát castle and Nové Strašecí were owned by Ladislav from Šternberk after 1560. During this period the little town flourished as the land route went through borders. Trade (cattle and lambs wool) and crafts (pottery and iron works) developed. A school was founded in the town. The calm period was replaced by religious and social disturbances in the 17th century resulting in the loss of certain royal privileges. From the Thirty Years War, the town was in ruins, only 53 houses with 400 inhabitants were left. The town was administered by different owners until the middle of the 19th century. The tax office and court were established in the town some time after 1848. In 1891 "the higher school" was opened and the building for "a town school" was completed in 1897. Trade and crafts were thriving; a print shop and a factory manufacturing starch (later producing wooden products (wooden products traditionally manufactured in the village of Pecínov) were founded. Construction flourished with a district savings bank and a district municipality constructed after WWI. Culture was promoted by various associations, the museum and the library. The townhall on the square and a former Gothic church are important historical sites. The Chapel of St. Isidore from 1715, currently used as a cemetery chapel, is located in the eastern part of the town. The original Jewish synagogue building became the Czechoslovak Hussites Church. The windmill (1832) is now an apartment building." Source with photo [February 2009]

 

NOVE STRASECI I:     US Commission No. CZCE000255 and US Commission No. CZCE000371
Alternate name: Neu-Straschitz in German. Nove Straseci I is located in Bohemia, Rakovnik at 50÷09 13÷55, 14 km W of Kladno and 37 km WNW of Praha. The old cemetery is located 100 meters MMW of the main square between Havlickova Street and namesti 5 kvetna square. Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.

  • Town: Mayor Miroslav Pelc, Mestsky Urad, namesti Komenskeko 201, 271 01 Nove Straseci; tel. 0313/63-25-11.
  • Regional: Okresni Urad-Referat Kultury, 269 01 Rakovnik cp. 166; tel. 0313/2051 or 2141 and Jewish Congregation: Ms. Jana Wolfova, ZNO Praha, Maislova 18, 110 01 Praha 1; tel. 02/231-69-25 and Pamatkovy ustav strednich Cech, Hybernska 18, 110 00 Praha 1; tel. 02/23-54-940 to 2.
  • Interested: Vlastivedne Muzeum, 271 01 Nove Straseci cp. 123; tel. 0313/63-25-64 and Okresni Muzeum, namesti Obetovanych 1, 269 01 Rakovnik; tel. 0313/2768.

Earliest known Jewish community wassted probably from late 17th or early 18th century but recorded in 1719. 1930 Jewish population was 14. Only 3 Jewish families were permitted between 1726 and after 1768. New congregation probably was late 18th or early 19th century. 105 people recorded in 1890 but moved to big towns after 1890. Scanty congregation existed until Nazi occupation. The unlandmarked Jewish cemetery originated before 1670 with last known Conservative or Progressive/Reform Jewish burial before 1859. The flat urban location has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open with permission via continuous masonry wall without gate. The approximate size of cemetery before WWII was about 0.09 ha.

The cemetery contains no stones or known mass graves. Within the limits of the site are probably new parts of neighboring cottages. Private individuals own property used for agricultural purposes (crops or animal grazing), small gardens, and residential backyards of neighboring cottages. Adjacent properties are commercial or industrial and residential. Rarely, private visitors stop. Vandalism occurred in 1981-91 and 1945-1981 (closed after 1952.) Moderate threat: existing nearby development.

Jiri Fiedler, z"l, Brdickova 1916, 155 00 Praha 5; tel. 02/55-33-40 completed survey on 26 June 1992. Documentation: cadastre of 1841; and Dejiny mesta Noveho Straseci (1930; and Jahrbuch fur die israelische Cultusgemeinden Bohemens (1893-4; and 1966 notes of Stati zidovske Muzeum Praha; and 1984 letter of local historian Ljuba Vankova. Other documentation was inaccessible. No site visits or interviews occurred.
NOVE STRASECI II:     US Commission No. CZCE000372

The new cemetery is located at 1000 meters SSE of the square in the street leading to Pecinov. This cemetery has an unnamed local custodian. The unlandmarked Jewish cemetery originated probably in mid-19th century with last known Conservative Jewish burial probably in 1950. The flat land or hillside, separate but near cemeteries, has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open with permission via continuous masonry wall and locking gate. The pre- and post-WWII size of cemetery is 0.1986 ha.

About 100 stones, most in original locations, date from 1859-20th century. The marble, granite and sandstone flat shaped stones, finely smoothed and inscribed stones, double tombstones or multi-stone monuments have Hebrew, German and Czech inscriptions. Some have metal fences around graves. The cemetery has no special sections or known mass graves. Within the limits of the site is gravedigger's house. Praha Jewish community owns the site used for Jewish cemetery and garden. Adjacent properties are agricultural, residential, and municipal cemetery. Occasionally, private visitors stop. This cemetery was not vandalized. Local non-Jewish residents and Jewish groups within country did restoration. Praha Jewish congregation pays the regular caretaker. Moderate threat: vegetation and vandalism. Slight threat: uncontrolled access, weather erosion, pollution, and existing and proposed nearby development.

Vlastmila Hamackova, Zabelska 37, 312 15 Plzen, Office tel: 02/231-07-85 and Jiri Fiedler, z"l, Brdickova 1916, 155 00 Praha 5; tel. 02/55-33-40 completed survey on 20 August 1992. Documentation: Dejiny mesta Noveho Strasceni 1930; and Jahrbuch fur die israelische Cultusgemeinden Bohemens 1893-4; and Jan Herman: Jewish Cemeteries in Bohemia and Moravia 1980; and 1966 notes of Stati Zidovske Muzeum Praha. Other documentation was inaccessible. No site visits or interviews occurred.

Last Updated on Saturday, 21 February 2009 17:22
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution