|NOVE SEDLISTE: Tachov, Bohemia|
US Commission No. CZCE000027
Nove Sedliste (alternate name: b. Neu-Zedlisch) is located at 49÷43 12.40, 7 km ESE of Tachov and 53 km W of Plzen. Cemetery: 450 [meters?] WNW of chateau. Present town population is under 1,000 with no Jews.
Earliest known Jewish community was 1724. 1930 Jewish population was 3. Jews moved to big towns in second half of 19th century. Jewish congregation disbanded in 1914. The landmarked Jewish cemetery originated before 1705 with last known Conservative Jewish burial about 1930. Labut (Ger: Labanth) and probably Castkov (Ger: Schossenreith) both 3 km away used site. Between fields and woods, the isolated hillside has no sign or marker. Reached by crossing meadow, access is open to all via a broken masonry wall without gate. The pre- and post-WWII size of cemetery is 1204 sq. m.
100-500 stones, most in original locations, date from 1704-20th century. The granite and sandstone flat shaped stones, finely smoothed and inscribed stones, flat stones with carved relief decoration or multi-stone monuments have Hebrew and German inscriptions. The cemetery contains no known mass graves or structures. Plzen Jewish community owns the Jewish cemetery. Adjacent properties are agricultural and fallow. Occasionally, private visitors and local residents stop. Nazis vandalized the cemetery prior to World War II in 1938. There is no maintenance. Moderate threat: uncontrolled access and vandalism. Slight threat: vegetation.
|Last Updated on Saturday, 21 February 2009 17:03|