|NOVA VCELNICE: Jindrichuv Hradec, Bohemia|
(until 1950 Nový Etynk-Včelnice, German: Neuötting-Vtschelnitz). map and photos: "The small town Nová Včelnice lies about 11 km north of the town Jindřichův Hradec on the Kamenice river. The former village Včelnice with a fortress is first mentioned in 1360. In the 17th century the owner of the domain built the chapel.... The new village, which arose around the chapel after 1662, was named Nový Etink (New Öttingen). It grew quickly and the textile industry developed here. The Church of the Assumption of Virgin Mary was founded in the village in 1786; it was rebuilt from the original chapel. The fortress in the original village was rebuilt into the castle. At the beginning of the 18th century the castle was reconstructed into the Baroque mansion." [February 2009]
US Commission No. CZCE000307
[Used Cernovice in the 18th century]. Alternate name: Neu-Otting, Neuotting, Neu Oettingen; c. Novy Etynk, Novy Etink in German. Nova Vcelnice is located in Bohemia, Jindrichuv Hradec at 49°14′21.66″N 15°4′21.37″E , 11 km NNE of Jindrichuv Hradec and 34 km SE of Tabor. Cemetery: 700 meters E of chateau, close to road leading to Stitine. Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.
Earliest Jewish community prayer house was recorded in 1727. 1930 Jewish population was 15. Before 1848, 12 Jewish families were permitted. Jewish population increased to 152 paying members of congregation in 1870. Independent congregation disbanded in 1893 but synagogue was used as late as between the World Wars. The unlandmarked Jewish cemetery originated in 1800 with last known Conservative Jewish burial before 1943. The isolated rural (agricultural) hillside has no sign or marker. Reached by crossing a locked private meadow of beekeeper, Mr. Vanasek, access is open with permission via continuous masonry wall and non-locking gate. The pre- and post-WWII size of cemetery is about 0.16 ha.
20-100 stones, all in original locations, are legible 1830-20th century. The granite and limestone flat shaped stones, finely smoothed and inscribed stones or multi-stone monuments have Hebrew, German and Czech inscriptions. Some have metal fences around graves. The cemetery contains no known mass graves or structures. Praha Jewish community owns cemetery. Adjacent properties are agricultural. Rarely, private visitors and local residents stop. Vandalism occurred 1945-1981 after 1952. There is no maintenance. Serious threat: vegetation. Moderate threat: vandalism. Slight threats: weather erosion and pollution.
Vlastmila Hamackova, Zabelska 37, Martina Chmelikova, Nad Ondrejovem 16, 140 00 Praha 4; tel. 02/69-20-350 and Jiri Fiedler, z"l, Brdickova 1916, 155 00 Praha 5; tel. 02/55-33-40 completed survey on 25 November 1992. Documentation: censuses of 1723, 1849, and 1930; and Gustav A. Schimmer: Statistik des Judenthums 1873; and Jahrbuch fur die israelische Cultesgemeinden Bohmen 1893-94; and photoarchives 1952 and research notes of Statni Zidovske Muzeum Praha. Other documentation was inaccessible. The site was not visited. Frantisek Vanasek in 1992 was interviewed.
|Last Updated on Saturday, 21 February 2009 16:27|