|NOVA CEREKEV: Pehrimov, Bohemia|
Nová Cerekev (German: Neu-Cerekwe, Neucerekwe, Neu Zerekwe (Neuzerekwe)) is a market town in the Pelhřimov District of the Vysočina Region. town images The Rozemberk Society has information about restorations in the area. [February 2009]
US Commission No. CZCE000370:
Alternate German name: Neu-Zerekwe. Nova Cerekev is located in Bohemia-Pehrimov at 49°25′07″N 15°06′47″E, 6 km WSW of Pelhrimov and 31 km E of Tabor. Cemetery: 80 meters NE of synagogue, near street leading to Stanovice. Present town population is under 1,000 with probably no Jews.
Earliest known Jewish community was late 17th century. 1930 Jewish population was 20. First prayer house recorded in 1690's. Peak Jewish population was mid-19th century with about 160 people. Later, Jews moved to Pelhrimov and big towns. Independent congregation disbanded in 1893 but synagogue used until 1930s. Native town of Theresia Herrmann, grandmother of composer Gustav Mahler; Alfred Justitz 1879-1934, renowned painter; and Ota Sling 1912-1952, leader of Communist Party in Moravia hanged in Slansky trial. The landmarked Jewish cemetery originated in second half of 17th century with last known Conservative or Progressive/Reform Jewish burial before 1943. Buried in the cemetery is painter A. Justitz. Pelhrimov (Ger: Pilgrams), 8 km away, used site. The isolated suburban hillside has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open with permission with a broken masonry wall and locking gate. The pre- and post-WWII size of cemetery is about 0.26 ha.
400 stones are legible 1692-20th century. The marble, granite, limestone, sandstone and slate flat shaped stones, finely smoothed and inscribed stones, flat stones with carved relief decoration or multi-stone monuments have Hebrew, German and Czech inscriptions. Some tombstones have traces of painting on their surfaces, other metallic elements, portraits on stones, and/or metal fences around graves. The cemetery contains no known mass graves. Within the limits of the site is a pre-burial house. Praha Jewish community owns cemetery. Adjacent properties are agricultural and residential. Occasionally, private visitors stop. This cemetery was not vandalized. Jewish groups within the country did periodic restoration. Praha Jewish congregation pays the regular caretaker. Moderate threat: uncontrolled access and vandalism. Slight threat: weather erosion and vegetation.
Vlastmila Hamackova, Zabelska 37, Martina Chmelikova, Nad Ondrejovem 16, 140 00 Praha 4; tel. 02/69-20-350 and Jiri Fiedler, Brdickova 1916, 155 00 Praha 5; tel. 02/55-33-40 completed survey on 31 August 1992. Documentation: censuses of 1723, 1849, and 1930; and cadastres and maps 1830-1878; and Jahruch fur die israelische Cultusgemeinden Bohemens 1894-5; and Jiri Cerny: "Zidovske pamatky v Nove Cerkvi" in Vlastivedny sbornik Pelhrimovska-1990; and notes of Statni Zidovske Muzeum. Other documentation was inaccessible. The site was not visited. See Rozmberk for additional information.
|Last Updated on Monday, 19 September 2011 18:33|