|NOVA BYSTRICE: Jindrichuv, Bohemia|
map and photos: "The regional museum is located in the birthplace of historian and chronicler August Sedláček. The memorial hall of the painter and puppeteer Ota Bubeníček, who is buried in Mladá Vožice, is located in the town hall. The Baroque Chapel of the Blessed Virgin Mary, which stands on the knoll on the outskirts of Mladá Vožice, dominates the town. The Jewish cemetery can be found about 3 km northwest of the town near the small village Elbančice. Also of interest: ruins of the Šelmberk castle, small village Ratibořské Hory, town Pacov, and small town Chýnov." [February 2009]
The Jewish community was densely settled in the eastern part of this region with the only remainder after the Holocaust being the desolate synagogues in Jindrichuv Hradec and Telc and cemeteries in Markvarec, Stare Mesto pod Landstejnem, Dolni Bolikov, Jindrichuv Hradec and Nova Bystrice. Source of information about Jewish communities in the area. [February 2009]
A town in the South Bohemian Region at 49°1′9.33″N 15°6′11.37″E) with about 3,400 inhabitants on the border between Czech Republic and Austria (close to Austria's most northern point). The district villages and hamlets Albeř, Artolec, Blato, Hradiště, Hůrky, Klášter, Klenová, Nový Vojířov, Ovčárna, Senotín, Skalka and Smrčná are administrative parts of Nová Bystřice. "The settlement, founded in 1175 during the reign of John the Blind, became a market town but also suffered from great famine. The town was burned by Jan Žižka in 1420 was rebuilt and since then called Nová ("New")Bystřice. During the cold war, the Iron Curtain garrison was located in the town causing the neighbouring village of Mnich was abandoned and destroyed due to its vicinity to the border. This picturesque city with a nature park informally called Czech Canada has a border checkpoint. Textiles are the traditional business, but many residents work in agriculture or in technical and administrative jobs by commuting to Jindřichův Hradec. Nová Bystřice is the endpoint of a privately operated narrow gauge railroad to Jindřichův Hradec powered by historic steam engines and offer various entertainment. Landštejn castle). Wikipedia [February 2009]
US Commission No. CZCE000306
Alternate name: Neubistritz; Neu-Bistritz in German. Nova Bystrice is located in Bohemia, Jindrichuv at 49÷02' 15÷07', 15 km SE of Jindrichuv Hradec. Cemetery: 700 meters N of square, near hamlet Ovcarna Ger: Schaferei. Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with fewer than 10 Jews.
Earliest known Jewish community was second half of 19th century. 1930 Jewish population was 42. 1-3 Jewish families were permitted before 1848. Jews moved from surrounding villages to N.B. after 1848. Religious society was founded probably in 1850s, the Jewish school in 1860s, and prayer house probably in 1870s. Independent congregation was constituted in 1893. Jews moved to big towns in 20th century. The unlandmarked Jewish cemetery originated in 1878 with last known Conservative Jewish burial probably before 1939. The isolated rural (agricultural) hillside has no sign or marker. Reached by crossing private field, access is open to all via a broken masonry wall without gate. The pre- and post-WWII size of cemetery is 0.0849 ha.
20-100 stones, most in original locations, date from last quarter of 19th to 20th centuries. The marble and granite flat shaped stones, flat stones with carved relief decoration, multi-stone monuments or obelisks have Hebrew and German inscriptions. Some have metal fences around graves. The cemetery contains no known mass graves or structures. Praha Jewish community owns the property used as a Jewish cemetery. Adjacent properties are agricultural. Rarely, private visitors and local residents stop. Vandalism occurred prior to World War II 1938 by Nazis, during World War II and occasionally 1981-91 1945-1981 with no maintenance. Serious threat: vegetation and vandalism. Moderate threat: pollution. Slight threat: weather erosion.
Vlastmila Hamackova, Zabelska 37, Martina Chmelikova, Nad Ondrejovem 16, 140 00 Praha 4; tel. 02/69-20-350 and Jiri Fiedler, Brdickova 1916, 155 00 Praha 5; tel. 02/55-33-40 completed survey on 26 November 1992. Documentation: Hugo Gold: Die Juden and Judengemeinden Bohemens 1934 and Jan Herman: Jewish Cemeteries in Bohemia and Moravia 1980. Other documentation was inaccessible. No site visits or interviews occurred.
|Last Updated on Saturday, 21 February 2009 16:07|