NOSETIN: Pisek, Bohemia Print

In Milevko district. Jewish settlement dates from the 18th century. The cemetery, 1 km SE of the village by the road to Květuš, was founded probably in the early 18th century and used until the early 20th century. 45 gravestones have been preserved, the oldest of them from 1722. Part of them are overturned. Only the outer wall brickwork remains from the mortuary. [February 2009]

 

US Commission No. CZCE000369

Nosetin is located in Bohemia-Pisek at 49÷32 14÷26, 18 km SW of Tabor and 60 km S of Prague. Cemetery: 700 meters SSE of the village green. Present town population is under 1,000 with no Jews.

  • Town: Obecni urad, 398 53 Chysky, tel: 0368/95206 or 95242.
  • Regional: Pamatkovy ustav jiznich Cech, namesti Premysla Otakara 34, 370 21 Ceske Budejovice; tel. 038/237-92 and Jewish Congregation: Ms. Jana Wolfova, Zidovska Nabozenska Obec v Praze, Maislova 18, 110 01 Praha 1; tel. 02/231-18-64 and Zbynek Samsuk and Jiri Hladky, Inspector for the Care of Historical Monuments, Okresni Urad-Referat Kultury, ulica O. Sevcika 207, 397 01 Pisek; tel. 0362/4384.
  • Interested: Vaclav Bartos, Prachenske Muzeum, Velke namesti 114, 397 24 Pisek; tel. 0352/4731 and 4732; Statni Zidovske Muzeum, Jachymova 3, 110 01 Praha 1; tel. 02/2310634; and local historian: Eva Hlavackova, Puskinovo namesti 6, 160 00 Praha 6; tel. 02/3297797.

Earliest known Jewish community was before 1796. 1930 Jewish population was 0 in Nosetin, Kvetus, or Chyska and 3 in Nadejkov with scanty congregation for surrounding villages called "Nosetin" or "Kvetus" or Kvetus-Nosetin". Minyan in Kvetus was registered in mid-18th century. Prayer-room in Kvetus was registered in 1796. Peak congregation membership was in mid-19th century with about 60 paying members, a new synagogue, and school. Later, Jews moved to big towns. Synagogue was used until 1898. The unlandmarked Jewish cemetery originated in 18th century with last known Conservative Jewish burial probably in 1928. Chysky (formerly Mala Chyska and Germ: Klein-Chischka) and Nadejkov, 2 km and 4 km away, used cemetery. Between fields and woods, the isolated flat slight slope has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road by an edge of a field, access is open to all via a broken masonry wall and non-locking gate. The pre- and post-WWII size of cemetery is 0.1453 ha. The cemetery has special section for congregation of Nadejkov.

20-100 stones date from 1782-20th century. The granite, limestone and sandstone flat shaped stones, finely smoothed and inscribed stones, flat stones with carved relief decoration or multi-stone monuments have Hebrew, German and Czech inscriptions. The cemetery contains no known mass graves but has a hardly damaged pre-burial house. Praha Jewish community owns cemetery. Adjacent properties are agricultural and forest. Occasionally, private visitors and local residents stop. Vandalism occurred occasionally 1945-1991 and slightly damaged by local youth after WWII. There is no maintenance. Moderate threat: pollution, vandalism and existing nearby development. Slight threat: weather erosion and proposed nearby development.

Ladislav Mertl, Mgr. of Geography, Kubanske namesti 1322/17, Praha 10-Vrsovice; tel. 02/743213 and Jiri Fiedler, z"l, Brdickova 1916, 155 00 Praha 5; tel. 02/5553340 completed survey on August 1992. Documentation: Eva Hlavackova: History of Kvetus 1989 manuscript; Jan Herman Jewish Cemeteries in Bohemia and Moravia 1980; Gustav A. Schimmer: Statistik des Judenthums... 1873; cadastres of 1830 and 1855; and censuses of 1748, 1930, and 1991. Other documentation was inaccessible. The site was not visited. E. Hlavackova was interviewed in Praha 1988-1990.

Last Updated on Saturday, 21 February 2009 13:43