NEZNASOV: Ceske Budejovice, Bohemia Print

cemetery photos [February 2009]

"The small village Neznašov is situated about 3 km west of the town Týn nad Vltavou above the confluence of the Vltava and Lužnice rivers. The first mention of the village [was] 1491. After 1541 a fortress was built here, but it has not been preserved. The new Napoleonic mansion was built in the place of the fortress about 1800. The most interesting sight in Neznašov is the cemetery with small chapels, which have rustic paintings and which are situated along the cemetery wall. There is the Church of the Most Holy Trinity in the cemetery as well. The Baroque chapel from the 18th century stands not far from the church above the precipice above the confluence of the Lužnice and Vltava rivers.The Jewish cemetery lies southeast of the village. It was founded in the 17th century after the expulsion of Jews from Týn nad Vltavou. Traces of the primeval fort from the Bronze Age can be found on the left bank of the Vltava river opposite of the mouth of the Lužnice river into the Vltava river. The Kořensko Dam was finished at the beginning of the 1990's on the Vltava river about 1 km far from Neznašov." Source with photos. [February 2009]

 

US Commission No. CZCE000043
Alternate name: Nesnaschow in German. Neznasov is located in Bohemia-Ceske Budejovice at 49÷14 14÷23, 3 km WNW of Tyn nad Vltavou, 18 km SE of Pisek, and 27 km NNW of Ceske Budejovice. Cemetery: 600 meters SE of the chateau on the cadastre of Vsemyslice (Ger: Schemeslitz). Present town population is under 1,000 with no Jews.

  • Town: Mistni urad Vsemyslice, sidlo Neznasov, 373 02 Neznasov; tel. 0334/217-37.
  • Regional: Ivan Bartos, Okresni Urad-Referat Kultury, Knezska 19, 370 01 Ceske Budejovice; tel. 038/374-60 and Pamatkovy ustav jiznich Cech, namesti Premysla Otakara 34, 370 21 Ceske Budejovice; tel. 038/237-92. Jewish Congregation: Ms. Jana Wolfova, Zidovska Nabozenska Obec v Praze, Maislova 18, 110 01 Praha 1; tel. 02/231-69-25.
  • Interested: Pavel Safr, Jihoceske Muzeum, Dukelska 1, 370 01 Ceske Budejovice; tel. 038/374-61 or 381-13 and Statni Zidovske Muzeum, Jachymova 3, 110 01 Praha 1; tel. 02/231-06-34 or 231-07-85 and former local historian: Vaclav Petrik, Bojiste, 373 02 Neznasov.

Earliest known Jewish community was late 17th or early 18th century. 1930 Jewish population was 5. Jewish community moved here probably in the 1680's after expulsion from nearby town of Tyn n. V. Peak Jewish population in first half of 19th century was 27 families. After 1848, Jews moved to big towns. Independent congregation disbanded probably about 1900. The landmarked Jewish cemetery originated in second quarter of 18th century with last known Conservative Jewish burial in 1930s. Between fields and woods, the isolated hillside has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all via a broken masonry wall without gate. The pre- and post-WWII size of cemetery is 0.1809 ha.

100-500 stones, most in original locations, are legible 1749-20th century. The marble, granite, limestone and sandstone flat shaped stones, finely smoothed and inscribed stones, flat stones with carved relief decoration, double tombstones or multi-stone monuments have Hebrew, German and Czech inscriptions. Some tombstones have traces of painting on their surfaces. The cemetery contains no known mass graves but has a pre-burial house ruin. Praha Jewish community owns cemetery. Adjacent properties are agricultural. Rarely, private visitors stop. Vandalism occurred occasionally 1945-1991 with no maintenance. Moderate threat: vegetation and vandalism. Slight threat: weather erosion and pollution.

Vlastmila Hamackova, Zabelska 37, Martina Chmelikova, Nad Ondrejovem 16, 140 00 Praha 4; tel. 02/69-20-350 and Jiri Fiedler, z"l, Brdickova 1916, 155 00 Praha 5; tel. 02/55-33-40 completed survey on 19 July 1992. Documentation: censuses of 1724, 1930, 1930; and J. Sakar: Dejiny Mesta Tyna nad Vltavoua okoli 1935-1936; and Hugo Gold Die Juden and Judengemeinden Bohemens 1934; and Jan Herman: Jewish Cemeteries in Bohemia and Moravia 1980; and notes of Statni Zidovske Muzeum Praha; and 1983 letters of former local historian Mr. Kriz (deceased). Other documentation was inaccessible. No site visits or interviews.

Last Updated on Saturday, 21 February 2009 13:23