You are here: Home Eastern Europe Czech Republic NEPOMUK: Plzen, Moravia
NEPOMUK: Plzen, Moravia PDF Print E-mail

Nepomuk

used cemetery at Kasejovice

 

photos. Nepomuk (a town with interesting architecture - a Baroque deanery and hospital, St. Jacob's Church that originally was a Roman building later rebuilt in Baroque style) The Jewish settlement was small and peaceful. In 19th century a chapel in a living house and at the end of 19th century a private Jewish school are mentioned in Nepomuk, but probably came to an end in the beginning of 20th century. The prayer room situated inside of the townhouse mentioned is from the second half of the 19th century . Another one was probably in the village Klaster. A private Jewish school was here at the end of the 19th century, but vanished since the Jewish children had to go to the state school. Nepomuk become a town in 1730. [February 2009]

 

Nepomuk lies on the Mihovka River, some 30 km (19 mi) SSW of Plzen, the regional capital and is also the seat of the Municipality with Extended Competence and Municipality with Commissioned Local Authority within the same borders. The village of Pomuk was mentioned for the first time in 1144 when a new Cistercian monastery was built nearby. In 1384 Pomuk was merged with neighbouring Přesanice and renamed as Nepomuk which was granted a town status in 1413. [February 2009]

Last Updated on Wednesday, 25 February 2009 14:12
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution