|NEJDEK: Karlovy Vary, Bohemia|
US Commission No. CZCE000283
Earliest known Jewish community was first prayer-room opened in 1880s. 1930 Jewish population was 56 and 62 in 1932. 1-3 families were permitted in first half of 19th century; Jewish families settled after 1848. Religious society, belonging to the Hroznetin rabbinate, originated in 1880s. Family von Koenigswarter (owners of manor-dominion since 1880's) was sponsor of religious society. The unlandmarked Jewish cemetery originated in 1914 with last known Conservative Jewish burial in 1938. The suburban hillside, part of a municipal cemetery, has no sign or marker. Reached by crossing public property through municipal cemetery, access is open to all during open hours. A continuous masonry wall municipal cemetery surrounds the cemetery. Municipal cemetery has locking gate. The approximate size of cemetery before WWII was approximately 0.01 ha and is now approximately 0.008 ha.
1-20 stones, all in original locations, are 20th century granite finely smoothed and inscribed stones or multi-stone monuments with Hebrew and German inscriptions. Some tombstones have bronze decorations or lettering. The cemetery contains marked mass graves of Soviet soldiers but no structures. The municipality owns the property used for Jewish cemetery (abolished) and memorial monuments of Soviet Army. Adjacent properties are recreational. The boundaries are smaller than 1939 because of 1945 Soviet army graves. Rarely, private visitors stop. Vandalism occurred during World War II by Nazis and 1945-1981. Now, not at all graves are Jewish. Slight threat: weather erosion, pollution, vandalism, vegetation, existing nearby development, and proposed nearby development.
Dr. Peter Braun, Komenskeho 43, 323 13 Plzen; tel. 019/52-15-58 and Rudolf Loewy, Jesenicka 33, 323 23 Plzen; tel. 019/52-06-84 and Jiri Fiedler, Brdickova 1916, 155 00 Praha 5; tel. 02/55-33-40 completed survey on 2 November 1992. Documentation: Joseph Pilz: Geschicte der Stadt Neudek 1923; Die Juden and Judengemeinden Bohemens 1934; notes of Statni Zidovske Muzeum Praha; and 1987 letter of Evangelical parish priest of Nejdek. The site was not visited. Mr. Vagner, Sucha 148, 362 21 Nejdek were interviewed.
|Last Updated on Saturday, 21 February 2009 06:04|