|NECTINY: Plzen north, Bohemia|
photos Netschetin in the region of Manetin. The town was originally divided into two villages: Nectiny from 1169 was a royal property. The castle was built in the 13th century by Oldrich Pluh (later from Rabsterjn). In 1511 the village received the privilage as a town from King Vladislav of Jagellons. The castle was rebuilt several times. The name of the village nearby, Castle Nectiny, has the remains of its original existence. The newer part of the town was established in the 17th century and did not become part of the town. The new castle was built there in Tudor gothic style. Today, the site is used by Pilsen University. The Jewish cemetery [see photo and contact information] situated on the wood meadow date from the 17th century was destroyed by Nazis. The tombstone were pulled out and thrown in one pile, today covered by bushes and moss. A closer reveals some interesting tombstones with sculpture decorations e.g. blessing hands from 1747 and others. Two parts of the cemetery can be seen, old one and new one divided by a path. The original Jewish road and synagogue were rebuilt. [February 2009]
US Commission No. CZCE000017
Earliest known Jewish community was first quarter of 18th century. 1930 Jewish population was 14. Jews moved to big towns in second half of 19th century. The unlandmarked Jewish cemetery originated before 1724 with last known Conservative or Progressive/Reform Jewish burial probably after 1930. The isolated wooded flat land at the crown of a hill has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all via a broken masonry wall without gate. The pre- and post-WWII size of cemetery is 800 sq. m.
20-100 stones, none in original locations, date from probably the 19th-20th century. The granite, limestone and sandstone flat shaped stones, finely smoothed and inscribed stones or multi-stone monuments have Hebrew and German inscriptions. The cemetery contains no known mass graves or structures. Plzen Jewish community owns Jewish cemetery. Adjacent properties are forest. Rarely, private visitors and local residents stop. Vandalism occurred prior to World War II by Nazis in 1938, during World War II and and probably 1945-1981 with no maintenance with no threats to the remains of totally destroyed cemetery.
Jiri Fiedler, z"l, Brdickova 1916, 155 00 Praha 5; tel. 02/55-33-40 completed survey on 27 June 1991 using the history of the town and the 1839-58 land register. He visited site in 1990. No interviews.
|Last Updated on Wednesday, 25 February 2009 14:13|