NACERADEC: Benesov, Bohemia [Nagachëv, Nagachuv, Nahaczów] Print

Alternate names: Nagachëv, Nagachuv, Nahaczów.  50°01' N 23°18' E, 320.0 miles W of Kyyiv. Jewish inhabitants are documented since the early 16th century. Synagogue in Načeradec


    • Located on the SW outskirts of the township Načeradec, Benesov, at house no. 2, the landmarked site was founded more than a century after the early 16th century founding of the Jewish community..The 1,183 m²  site has the oldest preserved tombstones dated 1687. About a hundred gravestones remain but several were incororpoated in a stone boundary wall.After WW II, the unmaintained site fell into disrepair. The ceremonial hall for burials did not survive. Surrounded by private land, the entrance gate on the NE side faces private gardens and therefore cannot be used in the enclosing wall. The ongoing maintenance planned since 1997 is planned righting of many tumbled gravestones. photos. [Sep 2015]

    US Commission No. CZCE000252

    Alternate name: Natscheradetz in German. Naceradec is located in Bohemia, Benesov at 49÷37 14÷55, 25 km SE of Benesov and 54 km WNW of Jihlava. Cemetery: 0.5 km S. Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with probably no Jews.

    • Town: Obecni urad, 257 08 Naceradec.
    • Regional: 1. Jewish Congregation: ZNO Praha (Ms. Jana Wolfova), Maislova 18, 110 01 Praha 1; tel. 02/2318664; 2. Okresni Urad-Referat Kultury, 256 01 Benesov u Prahy; and 3. PhDr. Jiri Tywoniak (District Conservator of Monuments), Zapova 601/22, 256 01 Benesov u Prahy; tel. 0301/23618.
    • Interested: Okresni Muzeum Benesov, Male namesti 74, 256 01 Benesov u Prahy and Statni Zidovske Muzeum, Jachymova 3, 110 01 Praha 1; tel. 02/2310634. Xenie Vodickova lives in the neighborhood of the cemetery at 257 08 Neceradec 2.

    Earliest known Jewish community was allegedly in early 17th century but recorded in mid-19th century. 1930 Jewish population was 11. Small Jewish congregation, for surrounding villages only, disbanded in 1919. The Jewish cemetery originated in 17th century with last known Conservative Jewish burial about 1940. The flat isolated suburban site has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road and crossing private garden, acess is open to all via a broken masonry wall without gate. The pre- and post-WWII size of cemetery is 0.1183 ha.

    20-100 stones date from 1687. The granite and sandstone flat shaped stones, finely smoothed and inscribed stones, double tombstones or multi-stone monuments have Hebrew, German and Czech inscriptions. Some have metal fences around graves. The cemetery contains no known mass graves or structures. Prague Jewish community owns site used only as a Jewish cemetery. Adjacent properties are agricultural and residential. Occasionally, private visitors stop. Vandalism occurred during World War II, occasionally 1945-1991 with no maintenance.

    Ladislav Mertl, Mgr. of Geography, Kubanske na. 1322/17, Praha 10-Vrsovice; tel. 02/743213; and Jiri Fiedler, z"l, Brdickova 1916, 155 00 Praha 5; tel. 02/55-33-40 completed survey in June 1992. Documentation: 1. Jan Herman: Jewish Cemeteries in Bohemia and Moravia (1980); 2. Hugo Gold: Die Juden und Judengemeinden Bohemens (1934); 3. Jahrbuch fur die israelische Cultusgemeinden Bohem (1893-94), and 4. censuses of 1570, 1620, 1724, 1844, 1930, and 1991. Other documentation exists but was inaccessible: No. 26, 69, 61, 63, and 73 in the archives of Prague Jewish Congregation. Mertl visited site on 23 May 1992 and interviewed Xenie Vocicka in Naceradec.

    Last Updated on Wednesday, 16 September 2015 18:56