|MERKLIN: Plzen, Bohemia|
Photos. Some prehistorical barrows were found near Merklin. Named for a famous writter and journalist, Jacob Arbes, who came to visit his father, fell in love, and sometimes used a pen-name Merklinsky, the roots of the town are the first noble family, Merklins, who had their fortress here in the 14th century . Jewish settlement dates from before 1685. The synagogue situated behind the bridge over the brook was renovated. A private Jewish school existed in the village. The Jewish community mostly disappeared in 1890; and the rest of Jews died during the Holocaust. Only one woman returned.
US Commission No. CZCE000016
Earliest known Jewish community was first half of 18th century. 1930 Jewish population was 12. The Jewish community congregation disbanded about 1913. The landmarked Jewish cemetery originated in 18th century with last known Conservative Jewish burial in 1934. The wooded flat isolated site has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all via a broken masonry wall without gate. The pre- and post-WWII size of cemetery is 1737 sq. m.
20-100 or 100-500 stones, most in original locations date from 1718 or 1791 illegible-20th century. The granite, limestone and sandstone flat shaped stones, finely smoothed and inscribed stones, flat stones with carved relief decoration or multi-stone monuments have Hebrew, German and Czech inscriptions. Some have metal fences around graves. The cemetery contains no known mass graves or structures. Plzen Jewish community owns the property used as a Jewish cemetery. Adjacent properties are forest. Rarely, private visitors and local residents stop. Vandalism occurred during World War II or 1945-1981. Moderate threats: uncontrolled access and vandalism. Slight threats: weather erosion, pollution and vegetation.
Jiri Fiedler, Brdickova 1916, 155 00 Praha 5; tel. 02/55-33-40 completed survey on January 3, 1992. Documentation: Gold: Die Juden und Judengemeinden Bohemens, 1934; notes of Statni Zidovske Muzeum, about 1960; land register, 1837-58. The site was not visited. People from the district museum in Blovice were interviewed.
|Last Updated on Thursday, 26 February 2009 12:22|