|MECHOLUPY: Louny, Bohemia|
US Commission No. CZCE000361
Alternate German name: Michelob. Mecholupy is located in Bohemia, Louny at 50÷16 13÷33, 6 km S of Zatec and 47 km E of Karlovy Vary. Cemetery: 1400 meters SE of chateau. Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.
Earliest known Jewish community was first half of 19th century. 1930 Jewish population was 13. Congregation originated in last quarter of 18th century or first third of 19th century. Peak Jewish population in 1860 (121 Jews, 18% of total population). Later, they moved to big towns. Independent congregation disbanded in 1931. The Jewish cemetery originated in 1857 with last known Conservative or Progressive/Reform burial before 1943. Liborice (Liboritz in German) and Zelec (Seltsch in German), 2 km and 3 km away, used this cemetery. Between fields and woods, the isolated crown of a hill has no sign or marker. Reached across co-operative farm field, access is open to all via a broken masonry wall without gate. The pre- and post-WWII size of cemetery is 0.1377 ha.
20-100 stones date from second half of 19th-20th century. The granite and sandstone finely smoothed and inscribed stones have Hebrew and German inscriptions. The cemetery contains no known mass graves or structures. Teplice Jewish community owns the site used only as a Jewish cemetery. Adjacent properties are agricultural and forest. Rarely, private visitors stop. Vandalism occurred probably prior to World War II 1938 by Nazis, during World War II, occasionally 1945-1991. No maintenance. Moderate threat: uncontrolled access, weather erosion and vandalism.
|Last Updated on Friday, 20 February 2009 06:08|