You are here: Home Eastern Europe Czech Republic MALA SITBOR: Cheb, Bohemia
MALA SITBOR: Cheb, Bohemia PDF Print E-mail

Milíkov is small village in Karlovy Vary Region with around 216 inhabitants. [February 2009]

 

US Commission No. CZCE000360

Alternate German name: Klein-Schuttuber. Mala Sitbor is located in Bohemia, Cheb at 50÷04 12÷32, 12 km ESE of Cheb. Cemetery: 1200 meters S and 800 meters ENE of the hamlet Zdirnice (Schirnitz in German). Present town population is under 1,000 with no Jews.

  • Town: Obecni urad, 354 93 Dolni Zandov; tel. 0165/935-11 or 934-39.
  • Regional: Okresni urad, referat zivotniho prostredi (Director: Ms. Slavka Smutna), Obrnene brigady 30, 350 02 Cheb; tel. 0166/308-21 or 309-21 and Zidovska Nabozenska Obec, Smetanovy sady 5, 301 37 Plzen; tel. 019/357-49 and Pamatkovy ustav, Dominikanska 4/6, 301 00 Plzen; tel. 019/376-78 or 358-71.
  • Interested: Chebske Muzeum (Director: Dr. Pavel Sebesta), namesti Krale Jiriho, 350 11 Cheb; tel. 0166/223-86 or 223-87 and Statni Zidovske Muzeum, Jachymova 3, 110 01 Praha 1; tel. 02/231-06-34 or 231-07-85.

Earliest known Jewish community was built in 1808 (congregation probably from second half of 18th century). 1930 Jewish population was 6 Jews in Mala Sitbor and 6 Jews in Milikov. Peak Jewish population in first half of 19th century (27 families permitted in Mala Sitbor, approximately 200 Jews in all area of congregation). After 1848, they moved to big towns. Independent congregation disbanded in 1875. Synagogue burned and was pulled down in 1914. The Jewish cemetery originated probably in second half of 18th century with last known Jewish burial at end of 19th century. Milikov (Miltigau in German), 1 km away, used this unlandmarked cemetery. The isolated rural (agricultural) hillside has no sign or marker. Reached by crossing private property crossing fields, access is open to all via a continuous masonry wall and no gate. The pre- and post-WWII size of cemetery is 0.0719 ha.

20-100 stones date from probably end of 18th century (legible: 1821) to 19th century. The granite and sandstone flat shaped stones, flat stones with carved relief decoration, double tombstones or multi-stone monuments have Hebrew and German inscriptions. Probably Plzen Jewish community owns site used only as a Jewish cemetery. Adjacent properties are agricultural. Rarely, private visitors stop. Vandalism occurred prior to World War II probably 1938 by Nazis, during World War II, 1945-1981 many gravestones and walls and gates stolen after 1958. There is no maintenance. Moderate threat: uncontrolled access, vegetation and vandalism. Slight threat: weather erosion and pollution.
Dr. Peter Braun, Komenskeho 43, 323 13 Plzen; tel. 019/52-15-58; Rudolf Loewy, Jesenicka 33, 323 23 Plzen; tel. 019/52-06-84 and Jiri Fiedler, z"l, Bedickova 1916, 155 00 Praha 5; tel. 02/55-33-40 completed survey on September 7, 1992. Documentation: census 1724, 1830, 1850, 1930; cadastre of 1841, 1861; Die Juden und Jedengemeinden Bohemens, 1934; notes of research made by Statni Zidovske Muzeum Praha in 1947, 1958 and 1966. The site was not visited. Dr. P. Sebesta and Dr. Stribrny from Mestske Muzeum in Frantiskovy Lazne were interviewed in 1992.

Last Updated on Friday, 20 February 2009 05:31
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution