|LUKAVEC: Pelhrimov, Bohemia|
US Commission No. CZCE000126
Alternate name: Lukawetz in German. Lukavec is located in Bohemia, Pelhrimov at 49°34' N, 15°00' E , 28 km N of Tabor, 43 miles SE of Praha (Prague). Cemetery: 150 meters N of the town square. Present town population is under 1,000 with no Jews.
Earliest known Jewish community was beginning of 18th century. 1930 Jewish population was 18. The Jews moved to big towns in the second half of the 19th century. The unlandmarked Jewish cemetery originated before 1724 with last known Conservative or Progressive/Reform Jewish burial in 1935. The isolated suburban agricultural crown of a hill has no sign or marker. Reached by crossing a private courtyard, access is open to all via a broken masonry wall and non-locking gate. The pre- and post-WWII size of cemetery is 1611 sq. m.
100-500 stones, most in original locations, date from (legible) 1725-20th century. The granite flat shaped stones, finely smoothed and inscribed stones, flat stones with carved relief decoration, double tombstones or multi-stone monuments have Hebrew, German and Czech inscriptions. The cemetery contains no known mass graves. Within the limits of the site is a pre-burial house. The local Jewish community owns the Jewish cemetery. Adjacent properties are gardens. Rarely, Jewish or non-Jewish private visitors and local residents stop. Vandalism occurred during World War II and 1945-1981 with no maintenance. Moderate threats: uncontrolled access, pollution and vegetation. Slight threats: weather erosion and vandalism.
Engineer Mojmir Maly, Ve Stresovickach 58, 169 00 Praha 6; tel. 35-57-69 and Jiri Fiedler, Brdickova 1916, 155 00 Praha 5; tel. 02/55-33-40 completed survey on March 15, 1992. Documentation: Census 1724; notes of Statni Zidovske Muzeum Prague about 1960. The site was not visited. Frantisek Zeman, local historian (1988), and local inhabitants (1992) were interviewed.
|Last Updated on Friday, 20 February 2009 04:43|