LOUCIM: Domazlice, Bohemia Print

 

US Commission No. CZCE000357

Alternate name: Lautschim in German. Loucim is located in Bohemia, Domazlice at 49º22 13º07, 12 km WSW of Latovy and 15 km SE of Domazlice. Cemetery: 1.5 km NE. Present town population is under 1,000 with no Jews.

  • Town: Obecni urad, 345 10 Loucim.
  • Regional: Okresni Urad, Referat Kultury, namesti Pionyru 228, 344 01 Domazlice; tel. 0189/4770 AND Zidovska Nabozenska Obec, Smetanovy sady 5, 301 37 Plzen; tel. 019/357-49 AND Pamatkovy ustav, Dominikanska 4/6, 301 00 Plzen; tel. 019/376-78 or 358-71.
  • Interested: Statni Zidovske Muzeum, Jachymova 3, 110 01 Praha 1; tel. 02/231-06-34 or 231-07-85 AND Zdenek Prochazka, Vodni 18, 344 01 Domazlice; tel. 0189/2332.

Earliest known Jewish community was prayer room recorded about 1830. 1930 Jewish population was 0 Jews in Loucim, 25 Jews in Kdyne, 11 Jews in Vseruby, and 7 Jews in Pocinovice. Peak of Jewish population was 50 in 1850. The independent congregation disbanded in 1894; thereafter, the seat of regional congregation was Kdyne. Last Jewish family left Loucim in 1927. The Jewish cemetery originated in 1842. Buried in the cemetery is Moyses Reach (died 1869), philanthropic physician from Kdyne with last known Conservative Jewish burial in 1948. Dlazov (Glosau in German), Pocinovice (Putzeried in German), Beharov (formerly Viharov, Wihorschau in German), Kdyne (Neugedein in German), Praporiste (Braunpusch in German), Vseruby (Neumark in German), and Kolovec (Kollautschen in German), 3 to 12 km, all used this landmarked cemetery (No. 146/2136/, cat. III). The isolated wooded site at the crown of a hill has no sign or marker. Reached by crossing private forest, access is open to all via a broken masonry wall without gate. The pre- and post-WWII size of cemetery is 0.2733 ha.

There are 1-20 stones, no special sections, no known mass graves, or structures. The 1840's-20th century granite and sandstone flat shaped stones have Hebrew, German and Czech inscriptions. Plzen Jewish community owns the site used for Jewish cemetery and forest. Adjacent properties are forest. Rarely, Jewish or non-Jewish private visitors stop. Vandalism occurred occasionally 1981-91. With no gate and part of wall, many gravestones were stolen in the 1980s and 1945-1981 with no maintenance. Moderate threat: vandalism. Slight threat: weather erosion.

Dr. Peter Braun, Komenskeho 43, 323 13 Plzen; tel. 019/52-15-58 AND Rudolf Loewy, Jesenicka 33, 323 23 Plzen; tel. 019/52-06-84 and Jiri Fiedler, z"l, Brdickova 1916, 155 00 Praha 5; tel. 02/55-33-40 completed survey on September 7, 1992. Documentation: census recordsof 1724, 1830, and 1930; Die Juden and Judengemeinden Bohemens, 1934; history of village of Loucim; Jan Herman, Jewish Cemeteries..., 1980; Zdenek Prochazka: Loucim-kapitoly z dejin obce, 1990. No site visits or interviews occurred.

Last Updated on Thursday, 19 February 2009 21:26