|LOSTICE: Sumperk, Moravia|
This town in the Olomouc Region has around 3,100 inhabitants. The village Žádlovice is an administrative part of Loštice. Loštice's is well known for a traditional cheese called tvarůžek or syreček. photo of synagogue [February 2009]
US Commission No. CZCE000124
Alternate name: Loschitz in German. Lostice is located in Morava-Sumperk at 49°45' N, 16°56' E , 18 miles NW of Olomouc (Olmütz). Cemetery: 1.5 km SE of Vejmoly Street. Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with fewer than 10 Jews.
Earliest known Jewish community was 1544. [Jewish population: 438 (in 1848), 55 (in 1910)] 1930 Jewish population was 55 Jews. Jewish quarter was transferred in 1727. Self-standing political community existed from 1850-1919. Jewish resident: Rabbi Dr. Israel Gunzig. The Jewish cemetery originated in 1554 with last known Conservative Jewish burial before 1942. Landmark: Nr. 1000 N.M. The isolated suburban hillside has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all via a broken masonry wall and locking gate. The pre- and post-WWII size of cemetery is 0.6445 ha.
100-500 stones, all in original locations, date from 1680-20th century. The marble, granite and sandstone flat shaped stones, finely smoothed and inscribed stones, flat stones with carved relief decoration, obelisks, or other shape have Hebrew, German and Czech inscriptions. Some tombstones have traces of painting on their surfaces. The cemetery contains no known mass graves. Within the limits of the site is a new pre-burial house. The Olomouc Jewish community owns the site used for Jewish cemetery and agriculture (crops or animal grazing). Adjacent properties are agricultural and residential. Occasionally, Jewish or non-Jewish private visitors stop. Vandalism occurred occasionally 1945-1991. Jewish groups within the country did restoration in 1990. Now, there is occasional clearing or cleaning by individuals. Moderate threat: weather erosion and vandalism. Slight threat: uncontrolled access, pollution, vegetation, and existing and proposed nearby development.
Engineer arch. Jaroslav Klenovsky, Zebetinska 13, 623 00 Brno completed survey [date?].
|Last Updated on Friday, 20 February 2009 21:36|